Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hatchback seats In a Coupe????

I was at the Junkyard the other day and found a car that had some Immaculate Seats in it that were the exact same as mine!So I think to myself..Score! But you see the thing is the car is a hatchback and mine is a coupe. So here's what I'm trying to say, I got the seats Specifically because they were fold down seats, being in the hatchback of course, so I was wondering if I cut the cross bracing in my coupe, would I be able to mount the fold down seats in there so they would actually fold down, giving me a readily accessable trunk from the interior??
    Calon

1985 LX Notchback (Project)
    1995 Mustang GT (In For Color Change)

that85fity

i'm sure you could mount them, but how are you going to lay them down? the release for the seat is in the middle of the back.

Interesting proposition. They may be same width (havn't measured them)

but keep in mind much of the mounting hardware is on the left and rear inside 1/4 panels, and I am not sure if/how you would modify those to mount your seats
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

I've pondered this several times, even went to the junkyard to price some seats(too much).

The least of the worries would be the lay down handle.

Basicaly, as v8only mentioned, you'll need to see about the brackets themselves and figure out a way to transfer them to the coupe.
    No matter where you go, there you are

Quote Originally Posted by mfpmax
    I've pondered this several times, even went to the junkyard to price some seats(too much).
    You Might Be A TurboForder if...... You go to a junk yard to price parts

I guess the same thing goes for foureye owners
    It puts the ATF in the T5... IT DOES AS IT'S TOLD!!!!!

Well that is the only place we can find parts

The least of the worries would be the lay down handle.

Basicaly, as v8only mentioned, you'll need to see about the brackets themselves and figure out a way to transfer them to the coupe.
    They only cost me $12 for everything, bracets and all! But I can't really find how to remove my Notch seats I already undid them from the cross bracing, but I can't see any other brackets holding them in??
    Calon

for the bottom half, push straight back towards rear of car and pull UP, this WILL unlatch it, bottom half just clips on.

For the top half, there should be a small bolt in the lower left hand corner of the upper seat. Pull one of the bottom corners up as much as you can, and look back, and you will see the tiny bolt. My vert bolts in this way, and I am almost positive a coupe is no different.

after you get those two bolts out, push on the top of the seat down which will unlatch them from the top and pull straight back.
    Jeremy
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg

Thanks alot, maybe I'll try to Get those seats in tomorrow after school and after Im done working at The shop... Around 10 haha... I hope this goes good, I'm tired of having to turn the car on and popping the trunk everytime I need something ( yes I'm too lazy to just unlock it ) Besides I need more room in the back seat anyways for the girlfriend she's always complaining about how there isn't enough leg room in the back
    Calon

please post pictures, and tips, and how functional this is, I am sure all of us are curious
    Jeremy

Will do Ill take lots of pictures Of everything!
    Calon

Canada

They wanted $100+ for the seats I was looking at.

Canada

They wanted $100+ for the seats I was looking at.
    I could get Brand new ones for $100 CDN here!! Haha I'll take pictures tomorrow and show you what Im working with the new and old seats which were $12 outta my pocket
    Calon

EDITED

Okay the seats are in and heres the pics theyre kinda big so beware...also These are only the finished product, I have more If anyone is interested in how to do this themselves... Oh and If you dont know what you're doing (like myself) Grab a case of beer because you have to go at this for about 3 - 4 Hours straight

First of all these are all the tools I used...only like..4 , Also I would like to add that the brackets on the sides of the hatch seats...TAKE THEM OFF the seats won't go in if theyre on, Then just mount the new seats on the center bracket, tuck the side bracket stubs under the side panels and screw in the rear anchor in the truck and your set (provided you cut the cross bracing to fit the seats..

Heres the seats Folded down..

Here's them up..

And heres the half Inch gap left on either side , Oh well I guess Ill carpet over it or something to make it look nice, anyways this is the last pic there's one more in my album if you would like to take a look, and again for any progress pictures just PM me
    Calon

Now get rid of the trunk torsion springs in favor of convertable trunk springs and you'll be set.

Scott Toogood

Nice install. I did the same to mine, but I used a section of 2 1/4" tubing as a cross brace across the cut-out section of the trunk compartment. Next, I drilled some holes through the tubing and bolted the seat latches to it. It keeps the upper seats from flopping around and adds to the stability of the car. It also makes a great place to attach an amp rack!

Now get rid of the trunk torsion springs in favor of convertable trunk springs and you'll be set.
    What's the differance between conventional springs and convertable springs for the trunk? Pics??
    Calon

Find a convertable, remember how you removed them and then toss um in the back of the Coupe. There is I think one "dent" that is where a hole goes, can't remember, but it was super simple.

Since the Verts don't have the room, they don't have the trunk rods like the Coupe does, so they have to use these. Perfect for if you need room for a speaker box...

Awesome! Thanks for the info, never seen the inside of a vert before, never see any around here, so I don't think Ill be able to get ahold of those anytime soon
    Calon

But you're in canada, the weather is wonderful there!

Quote Originally Posted by 85 Notchback
    Awesome! Thanks for the info, never seen the inside of a vert before, never see any around here, so I don't think Ill be able to get ahold of those anytime soon
    shoot me a pm if you really want them
    Jeremy

jazzcat2001

you should fix the pictures so i can get an idea what i am getting myself into

oh and my seats were free :P

I can send you all the pictures you like after thursday Im out of town at my girlfriends until after Canada Day (July 1) and the pictures are back on my computer at home, so ill, send them and/or fix the links then. Savy?

EDIT

Oh, BTW it's a fairly simple procedure, there will however be gaps (about 1 - 1 1/2" On either side of the seats I'll be glad to lend any advice I can until I get home though, as I can check messages, email and such here. If you would like info, Pm, Post or email me with any questions

Calon
    Calon

jazzcat2001

i still need to get the part that the seats latch up to in the back but i have the seats now...can't wait to find that other part and get those sunfaded things out of my car

I dont remember needing any extra parts, simply, remove the brackets on the side of the seats and bolt them in (after cutting the cross bracing).
    Calon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast