Close

Default Identify cut wire under dash behind radio

I'm trying to determine what this cut wire is for, its black with yellow dots and comes out of a gray connector with a purple wire next to it, anyone know what its for? (tried looking at wiring diagram and couldn't locate it)

Name:  cutwire.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  242.9 KB

Might be a little more helpful if you told folks the car and year.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Yes its a 1985 Mustang thanks.

FEP Power Member

84 EVTM shows Black wire with a yellow dot as the switched power to the fan relay and up-shift indicator on 4 cy.l Canada car. Or fan hot at all times on 50 state 4 cyl. Both feed the fan relay/ ac controller.

I don't see it going to any gray 3 pin connector as pictured.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Thanks for reply, not sure what that means because this is original V8 car with no a/c.

What side of the dash?
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

From the drives side floor looking toward the radio, its between the radio and the Gray Box Shift Light Module. I will try to get a better photo of the wires coming out the other end of the connector that might give a clue, thanks.

Another photo showing not much more, but you can see the wires coming out of the other side of the connector more clearly (gray with black dots), and they go upward toward the back of the cluster...

Name:  cutwire2.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  215.1 KB

None of my Mustang EVTMs are new enough (79-80) and all of my others are non-Mustang. The closest I have is the '85 LTD/Marquis one, and nothing in there jives.

That P/BK Dot wire should stand out on a wiring diagram, but I find no correlation in any of my sources. Online is no help, either.

Perhaps it's something in the Courtesy Lighting, or around the center console area? Trace the end that goes behind the radio.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Thanks for trying, will keep looking...

Yeah, if you look at the 1985 wiring diagrams that are linked at the top of this section, you'll find what Kevin K is talking about.

On page 16 at B-5, connector C1241, that is what you're looking at. You can see the ID below in the connector pin-outs. However, for whatever reason, your GY/BK dot wire (circuit 208 ) changes to P/BK dot on the lower side.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

OK!

The 85 5.0 DID have a shift light in the dash. That circuit 208 (GY/BK dot) connects to the "Shift Indicator Light Dimmer Relay"

That cut BL/YL dot wire (circuit 175) is the power that goes through the shift light and to the above relay. Someone probably got tired of seeing it and cut it.

More details in this thread HERE
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

That's awesome, thank you! What's weird is I had an instinct it had something to do with the gray box even though it didn't go it it directly.

FEP Power Member

Looks like that would be connector C269 which goes directly to the up shift lamp.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles