Close

Default Stripping old paint off of bumper cover

What is the best way to strip paint off of a bumper cover? Mine is from an 83 Mustang and the grill has all sorts of books and crannies. To make matters worse, I have 3 layers of paint on it, and it is goopy in some parts.
    Tony

I used a detail sanding head on my oscillating tool for that task. It was able to get into the majority of nooks and spaces. The rest was hand sanding or scraping to get into the edges and corners. Its a lot of work, I think I spent an entire day sanding the Pace Car front cover I bought that had a horribly thick repaint on it.

I was dreading cleaning up my bumper covers when I repainted my car. It had been poorly repainted previously and flaking off. Originally, I had started looking into having them soda-blasted, but decided in the end I decided I didn't want to pay to have it done.

I ended up setting them up in the driveway and using a stripper that's safe for urethane bumpers. Spent a few hours with putty knives and scrub pads, cleaned up just fine.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

Quote Originally Posted by 85MUSTANGTGT View Post
    I was dreading cleaning up my bumper covers when I repainted my car. It had been poorly repainted previously and flaking off. Originally, I had started looking into having them soda-blasted, but decided in the end I decided I didn't want to pay to have it done.

I ended up setting them up in the driveway and using a stripper that's safe for urethane bumpers. Spent a few hours with putty knives and scrub pads, cleaned up just fine.
    do you remember which product you used?
    Tony

​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Sorry, I can't remember now what I used specifically. It was whatever I found at my local parts store that said "for urethane bumpers" or "plastic safe" or something to that effect.

If you can find what Trey posted above, that will get you fixed up.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 85MUSTANGTGT View Post
    If you can find what Trey posted above, that will get you fixed up.

According to the SEM website, that product was discontinued as of March 2019.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Shows how long since I bought some and how much my local paint supplier rotates stock.

If you can find a good media blaster in the area, you can have them strip the bumper cover using plastic media, walnut shells, and even abrasive media if they drop the pressure and are careful. I have used "Black Magic" media in the past to strip bumper covers and it has worked just fine. They will have a texture that will require some high build primer and block sanding to be flat and true for painting again, but no actual damage to the urethane. Bottom line is when done right the new paint will stick really well and not have to worry about any lifting or peeling issues. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller