Close

Default New guy M81 McClaren

I’m new to this site. I found a M81 in a Pine thicket in East Texas. Looking forward to finding some experts for help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site. You'll find plenty of helpful people here.

Regarding the car you acquired.... I don't think that it is an actual M81 McLaren. I believe the VIN shows that car to be a 1982 Mustang with a V8 engine. Ford only made M81's in 1980 and 1981. And they all came with turbo 2.3L engines.

However, Ford did sell kits of the bodywork and, optionally, other M81 components, allowing dealers, or even individuals, to build a replica of an M81 McLaren Mustang. That may be what you have.

Here's a 1980 magazine article about the diy parts...

1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Come on now. You can't just pop into the site and say "I have an M81 McClaren" and not post pics.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Is this the one that's been on Stangnet for over a week?

Nice score!! Looks like it needs a full resto.
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

1993 Volvo 240 Wagon
    LQ4 w/cam. 4L80E w/shift kit and Circle D 3200 Stall. Nearly Finished

It may be a "DSO" car but it is not an M81, which all had a 1980 VIN with a carb 2.3L turbo engine.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags