Close

Thread: gauge idea

FEP Member

Default gauge idea

ok, so i have 2 mechanical autometer phantom gauges. one is oil pressure and the other is fuel pressure. since they are mechanical i have to mount them outside the car, just for saftey concerns.
    heres my idea, i have a 3" cowl induction hood, so can i mount them in the cowl? like attach them to the cowl vents or something? has anyone done this, or am i even making sense? thanks,
    David
    1994 cobra- sold!
    1986 GT- still have!

FEP User

I wouldnt owrry about mounting the oil pressure gauge outside.. Carrol Shelby used mechanical gauges INSIDE the shelby mustangs and never had for a problem. Also many people do run mechanical oil gauges inside there cars i dont think thats a big concern as long as you dont have any wild bends in the line where it can easily break.

Yeah put the oil pressure gauge inside. Run many like this and never had a problem. For fuel there is a isolator that an be bought to somehow isolate the gage.
    Here's one made by autometer http://store.summitracing.com/partde...art=ATM%2D5282
    It's pricy though

FEP Member

im going to see if my idea will work tommorrow i think. i have to fabup the 4 hood pins anyways, so ill just check this too.
    1994 cobra- sold!
    1986 GT- still have!

jazzcat2001

so you are going to have a 4 pin hood with gauges in it? wouldn't that be more work when having to take the hood off? put the oil pressure inside the car and get a gauge cup for the fuel one and mount that outside

St80sixer

You could bolt or weld a plate that sticks up into the cowl of the hood to the firewall for holding the gauges. That way you wouldn't have to disconnect the gauges to pull the hood.

ragtopjr has a similiar setup on his vert, here's a link to his setup: Ed Donais' website

FEP Member

yes! that is exactly what i was looking for!
    1994 cobra- sold!
    1986 GT- still have!