Close

Default Thunderbird fuel tank

I知 searching for a new fuel tank for my 85 Tbird ( 5.0 CFI) . Anyone here recommend somewhere to get one? I was thinking RockAuto. I guess since I知 replacing I should get a new pump as well? Any help or thoughts are appreciated.
    Thank you

Looks like RockAuto still has stock on Spectra or Dorman for those. Either would work.

If you don't like RA, just Google the PNs for another source.

Replacing the pump while you're in there wouldn't hurt, but may not be necessary.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    Looks like RockAuto still has stock on Spectra or Dorman for those. Either would work.

If you don't like RA, just Google the PNs for another source.

Replacing the pump while you're in there wouldn't hurt, but may not be necessary.
    Thanks for the reply Chuck. In your opinion is one better than the other? I’m worried I may find hidden surprises when I drop the tank.

They're probably made in the same place.

I've "recently" bought Spectras for both the LTS and the LTD. Absolutely no issues.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

I agree with Chuck W, they're probably made by the same manufacturer and just labeled different.

And I'd go ahead and put in all new stuff if you're gonna swap in a brand new tank.... make everything at that end of the fuel system nice and fresh.... new pump and strainer, new vent valve, new filler neck gasket, and (if present) new rubber fuel line. But that's just me.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Quote Originally Posted by ISTLCRUZ View Post
    I知 searching for a new fuel tank for my 85 Tbird ( 5.0 CFI) . Anyone here recommend somewhere to get one? I was thinking RockAuto. I guess since I知 replacing I should get a new pump as well? Any help or thoughts are appreciated.
    Thank you
    I bought a spectra one with kit on ebay for my 83 tbird(which is carbed) and had to bend the tabs on the lock ring to get it to seal well. A non issue really, but keep that in mind. It was an exact fit no issues there.
    They are unpainted, not sure if it matters to you. I regret not painting mine before putting it in. Too much work to pull it out and do it now.

You will need a new filler tube gasket on the tank you cant reuse it, so dont forget to buy that also.
    If your pump hasnt been replaced before now would be the time to do it, why redo all that work again later down the road. I dont remember if they have the sender or if its seperate but if you can afford to you should replace them both now.
    You have to take it out anyway.
    Last edited by 1984GTTurboVert; 01-27-2024 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    I agree with Chuck W, they're probably made by the same manufacturer and just labeled different.

And I'd go ahead and put in all new stuff if you're gonna swap in a brand new tank.... make everything at that end of the fuel system nice and fresh.... new pump and strainer, new vent valve, new filler neck gasket, and (if present) new rubber fuel line. But that's just me.
    Agree. Picturing Dorman sourcing tanks from Spectrum, add the 2.00 paint job, stick their label on it, flip it.
    Doubt they build tanks or do leak testing in house. Spectra does. Just guessing but the practice is common with aftermarket auto parts.
    Compare all product info, If listing has a multi brand choice and a cost difference, decide why.

Have a lead/tin Spectra in the Mustang from NPD. They are nearby. Tank, neck grommet. Invoice was 227.00, plus 5.00 gas.
    So glad the tank straps were newly added to the NPD catalog just in time.
    Cleaned and reused pickup assy, sender ele. connector, lock ring retainer, vent valve, filler neck assy., fuel cap.
    New tank straps (reused hardware), filler neck to tank grommet. restored tank shield, repainted entire under body above tank.
    New rubber fuel hoses and clamps. Black Hammered Black was used wherever under body repainting was needed
    Going on six years, tank looks new clean from behind. The tank seam weld showed trace of rust when new has not progressed.

Hardest part was fuel neck to tank re connection. Lubed the id of the new grommet with regular oil.
    Did not want to lube grommet to tank od because of possibly pushing the grommet into the tank. No lube was needed there.
    Fought to hold tank up and connect filler at the same time. Supporting the tank on a Jane Fonda Stepper stack worked out good.
    Keep the rear tank strap retaining nuts from spinning with a large screwdriver, not fingers.
    Last edited by gr79; 01-27-2024 at 08:08 PM.

Thanks for all the info everyone. My car is an 85 ( 30th Anniversary car), does anyone know if it’s a 19 gallon or 22 gallon tank? And since it has the digital dash I’m sure the sender is different and obsolete.

Should be a 22 gallon, The turbocoupes and xr7 turbos had the smaller tank iirc. I dont remember if 85 was just an intank or you have 2 pumps.
    The sender is different for digital but you have a few options if you cant find the right one for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1984GTTurboVert View Post
    Should be a 22 gallon, The turbocoupes and xr7 turbos had the smaller tank iirc. I dont remember if 85 was just an intank or you have 2 pumps.
    The sender is different for digital but you have a few options if you cant find the right one for it.
    I believe it has 2 . It appears to be on the passenger side in front of the differential. Is it possible to get a higher volume in tank pump and do away with the second pump?

Is it possible to get a higher volume in tank pump and do away with the second pump?
    Yes. Not a big deal, really. I've had a 255hp Walbro in my '83 for a long time.

It's longer than the little stock lift pump, but you can mount the bigger in-tank pump up to the stock hanger with a little modification. Mine was done WAY before I had a digital camera, so no pics. I think I wound up using a hose clamp to secure it to the hanger in the end. Be sure the little section of fuel hose in the tank is rated for submersion in fuel. That's a mistake that gets made a lot. Regular fuel hose will not hold up.

Also, there is a resistor wire on the ground side of the power feed to the in-tank pump. If you don't bypass that, you won't get full power to your new fancy "big" pump. Easy enough to bypass. Clip the ground wire in the trunk (the BL/YL dot) and make a connection directly to ground.
    At least my 83 with the dual pump set-up had this resistor wire.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

My car is an 85 ( 30th Anniversary car), does anyone know if it’s a 19 gallon or 22 gallon tank?
    Quote Originally Posted by 1984GTTurboVert View Post
    Should be a 22 gallon, The turbocoupes and xr7 turbos had the smaller tank iirc.
    Not that they're the authority on anything, but RockAuto is showing the tank to be 19 gallons. And they're showing the same fuel tank whether it's a V8, V6 or turbo 4.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

You're probably stuck with whatever is available.

If you want to rabbit hole for part numbers, etc, you MAY find the larger tank available somewhere.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Not that they're the authority on anything, but RockAuto is showing the tank to be 19 gallons. And they're showing the same fuel tank whether it's a V8, V6 or turbo 4.
    The actual specs on the spectra one say the same.

https://ecat.spectrapremium.com/en/parts/F23C

Weird.

Not really weird. It's a long out-of-production application. Pick the one that is the most common to produce.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Yes if a part is a slow mover, it is on the hit list. Storage space for stocking parts is prime real estate.
    May be one lost somewhere in a barn or garage.

But Ford IS the authority on it, and the 1985 Thunderbird brochure shows that the V8 and V6 models have a 20.6 gallon tank, while the Turbo Coupe has an 18.0 gallon tank.