Close

Default Fairmont/Zephyr Trunk Struts

20 some years ago the tension rods in my Zephyr broke while driving down the road. If you have never heard them break, it’s like a shotgun going off in your trunk. Not cool. I resorted to using a plastic pole I stole from my mom up until this fall. I was able to work with Redline Tuning and develop a trunk strut kit to keep the trunk lid in place. You can check it out on their website https://www.redlinetuning.com/1978-1...1-11046-02.htm

Name:  IMG_2921.jpeg
Views: 82
Size:  243.0 KBName:  IMG_2920.jpeg
Views: 82
Size:  236.1 KB

FEP Power Member

Wow, cool! Wondering of this would work on my 1986 Thunderbird?
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

Could email them or call bet they can fix you up and answer questions.
    For a bit, had to use a baseball bat prop rod to keep the Mustang hatch up.
    Last edited by gr79; 01-25-2024 at 05:14 PM.

FEP Power Member

I did contact them, and they need an actual Thunderbird there at the shop to verify. Anybody in Ann Arbor with a Thunderbird?
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

That's awesome! I wish someone would do that for an F/Z hood kit. I HATE the prop-rod, but they don't show a specific kit for it. I just don't want to take a chance on a Mustang kit. The F/Z hood is no joke. It's nice to hear they actually test their claims! I might buy the trunk kit just for that reason! And I hate the tension rod...
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Maybe someone can hook up at Dearborn FoxFest, other local show, t-bird forum to arrange a shop visit.
    Not many 80's 'birds out there any more. Clubs are old birds or the 2000 editions.
    Local Detroit club: http://www.michigantbirds.org/Events.html. All years.
    2023 THUNDERBIRD REUNION
    Ford World Headquarters T-Bird Show
    Tuesday, August 22 – Sunday, August 27, 2023
    Dearborn, Michigan
    Chair: Gerard (Bart) Bartasavich
    (216) 375-2808
    gebart@ameritech.net
    intl-thunderbirdclub.com

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    That's awesome! I wish someone would do that for an F/Z hood kit. I HATE the prop-rod, but they don't show a specific kit for it. I just don't want to take a chance on a Mustang kit. The F/Z hood is no joke. It's nice to hear they actually test their claims! I might buy the trunk kit just for that reason! And I hate the tension rod...
    Their Mustang kit will fit the Fairmont and Zephyr’s. Other kits I have tried hit my camber plates, the Redline kit does not.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Maybe someone can hook up at Dearborn FoxFest, other local show, t-bird forum to arrange a shop visit.
    Not many 80's 'birds out there any more. Clubs are old birds or the 2000 editions.
    Local Detroit club: http://www.michigantbirds.org/Events.html. All years.
    2023 THUNDERBIRD REUNION
    Ford World Headquarters T-Bird Show
    Tuesday, August 22 – Sunday, August 27, 2023
    Dearborn, Michigan
    Chair: Gerard (Bart) Bartasavich
    (216) 375-2808
    gebart@ameritech.net
    intl-thunderbirdclub.com

Redline Tuning will be attending Dearborn Foxfest this year.

Quote Originally Posted by BlownMerc View Post
    Their Mustang kit will fit the Fairmont and Zephyr’s. Other kits I have tried hit my camber plates, the Redline kit does not.
    This is good to hear. Does it deform the sheet metal at the fenders? I have avoided hood struts for this reason- reading about other having this problem. Could be installer error too i suppose.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Would like to see pictures of those dents. Trying to picture something. Red stories but no pics.
    The struts mount to the fender apron. Pretty thick metal there. If careful like we are, install will go fine.
    Taking extra time for good measuring, clear marking, and using the right tools pays off nicely.
    Struts are neat. Like a garage door opener with magic no buttons to push or electric power.
    They raise the hood about the same speed as manually raising it. Then the hood stops with a firm pressure hold.
    To clowse, pull hood down to some point as with prop rod then let go, hood free falls to the latch same as before.

Seem to recall the rear of the hood was not flush to the cowl after strut install like up a 1/4" or something.
    May have had to relocate bracket locations a bit. Drill more holes. No big deal.
    Pneumatic 1/4" rivet gun was quick like 2 seconds a rivet. One hand to hold bracket, other the tool.
    Unless when drilling, something slips or breaks and drill drops onto fender.
    Have to picture when doing the brackets, the hood is on the prop rod. Need drill clearance to drill the all holes.
    One shoulder bump or big gust of wind the right way drops the rod.
    Then the hood tries to trap anyone leaning into the engine bay that have their hands already full.
    I think i bungeed the hood all the way back straight up like when pulling the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Would like to see pictures of those dents.
    Which dents?
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Good to know they fit, but have you had them very long? I wonder how they perform long term.

I'll probably just have to take the leap. I just hate the prop rod so much, especially where mine is in comparison with the SEFI car under-hood arrangement. It's in the same corner as the radiator cap and the battery. ARGH
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Correction:
    "deform the sheet metal at the fenders?"
    Was distracted big time by tv coverage of start of Det/SF football game at 630p.
    Plus reading posts of other makes of hood shock cars sheet metal denting and bending somehow.

Installed 9/3/2011 cost 70.00 3 hours min or one day project in reality.
    Redline 21-11012-01 hood strut kit.
    Result is a premium look, reversible mod. Still so mad removed prop rod and stowed in shed.
    Passed on them for years until heavy hood came down on my upper back when replacing hood scoop studs.
    Talk about being poed. Was the last straw for prob rods and any economical thoughts.
    Install procedure was never a factor of not getting them. Made top of list to solve long term subtle car issues.
    So impressed, installed a set on the Ranger. Open hood on both is close to prop rod height.
    Prop rod was ok but struts are safer. Not everyone needs struts if not working in the bay all the time.
    If the hood needs to be wide open for engine pull, can pop the shock end clips off the ball.
    Car hood has been opened hundreds of times. Seem strong enough to keep a stock hood with scoop open for years.

Will make you feel better every time they do their thing justifying their modest cost. Bang for the buck.

Thanks, that helps!

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST