Close

Default Weird spot for plug in driver door?

Here is a pic of a car I am looking at. I have never seen a plug in the door striker area BUT maybe it is something I just never seen before. Anyone have any idea or seen one like this before right in the middle of the door tag???

Name:  plug.JPG
Views: 77
Size:  363.9 KB
    1981 Capri "Black Magic" I6 (sold)
    1985 Mustang GT (sold) Oxford white T-Top
    1985.5 Mustang SVO 9L
    1986 Mustang SVO 1D

FEP Senior Member

That looks like an undercoating plug. Ford would never do that at the factory.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

My guess is it's a plug for either an undercoating access hole or for a PDR access hole. Still, I'd think there could have been a better location chosen....
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Aftermarket rust protection. Drilled hole in door, inserted hose to spray inside of door with rust protection/sealer, inserted plug to cover hole. You should see plugs on the other door and probably both rocker panels lower quarter panels where they meets the doors.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I was thinking along those lines as well (undercoating/rust protection etc...).

Seriously tho, what kind of an idiot would put that right there in middle of the tag. Tag has important info on it and in the case of classic cars it is part of cars originality... Just no shortage of jerks that dont care about their job...Same crap happens today at some dealers...ask me how I know...
    1985.5 Mustang SVO 9L
    1986 Mustang SVO 1D

This particular car has undercoating on the inside of the Fenders where the top bolts are and sprayed down as far as they could get toward the frame rail. Strut towers etc... all undercoated.
    Looks horrible and like your trying to hide something.

Shame bc this is a pretty low mile 85-1/2 SVO
    1985.5 Mustang SVO 9L
    1986 Mustang SVO 1D

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

It's definitely an undercoating plug for sure. I have a lot of these in the door jambs and doors of my '79 Cobra and I thank my lucky stars that I do because when I bought the car back in 2000 when it was 21 years old, there was no rust or rot on the entire car except for a spot next to the sunroof on the driver's side above the door. That is rare because up here in the rust belt of New England, cars begin rusting at 7 years old and by year 10 or 12, they've got so much rust on them that they're ready for the junk yard. To this day, I've still got all the original body panels on my car and it's now 45 years old. Yes, it may look like crap in the engine bay but in the doors and jams, it's a life saver.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Quote Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
    It's definitely an undercoating plug for sure. I have a lot of these in the door jambs and doors of my '79 Cobra and I thank my lucky stars that I do because when I bought the car back in 2000 when it was 21 years old, there was no rust or rot on the entire car except for a spot next to the sunroof on the driver's side above the door. That is rare because up here in the rust belt of New England, cars begin rusting at 7 years old and by year 10 or 12, they've got so much rust on them that they're ready for the junk yard. To this day, I've still got all the original body panels on my car and it's now 45 years old. Yes, it may look like crap in the engine bay but in the doors and jams, it's a life saver.
    I agree Pete!

Lawng Island aint much better for the rust and salt (NYC corners the market for salting roads). My 86 SVO that I have owned since 1992 has been a Long Island car all of its life and I just recently restored it. Had to replace both doors, hatch, driver side floor pan and lots of patch work in other areas just to save it. Got mine when I was 22 years old and back then no garage...thank god all my babies are inside now
    1985.5 Mustang SVO 9L
    1986 Mustang SVO 1D

Glove box sticker and now this. How unique.

Imaging picking up the car after the rustproofing and seeing what happened?
    Fury? Would have made them take a chunk off the bill to cover damage repair.
    Damaged a VCL performing a door preserving operation.
    Remove plug take pic of data order another 60.00 label from Marti send them pic of old label.
    Just before sticking on the new one, patch hole with metal repair tape.
    Hole prob will show thru a bit but better than a black plug that others can see then blame you.
    Or stick the new one below old one. Old one is a one of a kind secret my car id marker.
    Would think the spray guy hack could have tried to bend down a bit to drill the hole lower.
    Prob took car for a demo ride later.
    Mine has Superseal plugs in it stuff defiantly has saved most of the car from catastrophic rust.
    Rust really started showing up 20 years after exposure to dd in winter. Wheel wells, floor pan, rockers, etc.
    Coated areas like shock towers are intact texture catches dirt helps that the car is black.
    Am happy how plastic roof cement has worked out resealing rear wheel well and behind rear wheel rocker panel repairs.
    Fresh seam sealer in a tube works well to repair door bottom seams that have rusted loose and floor pan repairs.
    Bondo Glass and gutter mesh repaired a totally rusted area behind ps rear wheel. Cant tell its not metal. Survives kick tests.
    Coated the repair back side up under car with the roof cement.
    Last edited by gr79; 01-09-2024 at 10:05 PM.