Close

Default ID a sticker in 1985 Mustang Glove box

I have this sticker in my 1985.5 Mustang SVO Glove Box. I never seen one before and was wondering if anyone has seen anything similar. The car is low mile and interior is in brand new condition and all original.

The tag / sticker has the VIN on it and another numerical code with one letter but a search does not come up with any info.

Name:  glove box sticker.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  560.2 KB
    1981 Capri "Black Magic" I6 (sold)
    1985 Mustang GT (sold) Oxford white T-Top
    1985.5 Mustang SVO 9L
    1986 Mustang SVO 1D

FEP Power Member

Never seen one on an 80s car before. Bar codes were invented like in the 1949 but were not used until much later due to computing power needed. 80s did not have that computer power yet. I would think it was added much later. Maybe dealer service label? Not likely a DMV label as the door comes off with 2 screws.
    Last edited by KevinK; 01-08-2024 at 01:58 PM.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

I thought about a dealer service tag as well but agree with you that it does not look correct per Ford type paperwork. The car spent 31 of its 32 yrs in New Hampshire and maybe it is something they use for DMV or registration, inspection etc...???
    1985.5 Mustang SVO 9L
    1986 Mustang SVO 1D

Could be a dash sub assembly sticker generated at the plant for production line use.
    A good flat spot to stick it to id the whole particular dash for sequencing.

"Computer Identics Corporation installed one of its first two scanning systems in the spring of 1969 at a General Motors (Buick) factory in Flint, Michigan.[10] The system was used to identify a dozen types of transmissions moving on an overhead conveyor from production to shipping. The other scanning system was installed at General Trading Company's distribution center in Carlstadt, New Jersey to direct shipments to the proper loading bay."

FEP Power Member

While it makes sense today, sub-assemblies would not have a VIN back then. It would make staging parts too complicated. I believe bar codes were used in reverse as in logging a unit to a VIN in a database post assembly and not assigning it to a VIN pre-assembly.

My 84 & 85 have no bar codes but my 89 does have it on the VIN sticker. I really don't recall seeing bar codes on Ford parts until the 90s. Bar codes were not put to use until 1972 and primary use was grocery stores thanks to IBM.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Possibly placed they by a servicing dealer. The number on the bottom could be an account number for the customer.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Wonder who made the sticker?
    Last edited by gr79; 01-09-2024 at 05:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Wonder who made the sticker?
    I dont know. It must be something that has NOTHING to do with Ford. I just had never seen anything like this before and threw it out there to see if any know what it is.

It is kind of a weird tag tho...
    1985.5 Mustang SVO 9L
    1986 Mustang SVO 1D