Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    Shiny turds can be nice.

Car looks good!
    Thanks for the kind words.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Putting in new pw motors, adding pdl, attempting to replace the guide bushings. It's a t-top car, so there's the reinforcing panel across the top of the door. Makes removing the guide rod very difficult, there's very little flex. The window is bottomed out but still sticks up above the opening and prevents prying the opening wider. Short of removing the window, any ideas?
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    I thought it was dark canyon red but i could also be dead wrong. Would that info be on the door sticker?
    2H -A color, for some reason, gained different names over the years from paint suppliers.
    Would say a 79 dealer color chip chart, Marti, window sticker, would have the accurate name Ford used.
    Like on Family Feud, "The dealer says".... -ding- Med Red Metallic.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-for-79-Zephyr
    https://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorco...f=Ford&rows=50
    Last edited by gr79; 06-08-2024 at 09:32 PM.

Thank you Sir! Sticker says 2H. The dark canyon red i get in cans from dupli color are a very close match. Great to know the actual color for the future. Really appreciate it
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Default Time for ball joint replacement

Started the car. First time since April. New battery, old gas from last October.
    Next is front ball joint replacement and hopefully drive car again this weekend.

6/14 Postponing tow trip to shop due to hot weather forecast.
    The delay allowed rethinking what prep was going to be needed prior to the trip.
    Last edited by gr79; 06-14-2024 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    Thank you Sir! Sticker says 2H. The dark canyon red i get in cans from dupli color are a very close match. Great to know the actual color for the future. Really appreciate it
    Your very welcome.
    Almost bought a Ranger painted (87-93) Ford Wild Strawberry Metallic once. Really sharp in the sun.
    Knowing the true part number and description can help obtaining parts and know the costs.
    With older cars, common parts can get to be generic..close or may not work at all as the real thing.
    Knowing the actual number and name can make a go-no go difference in parts searching.
    Found not all model applications or interchanges are listed in stores or online if at all.
    Last edited by gr79; 06-10-2024 at 05:30 PM.

Got the car back on Wednesday. New alternator, new belt, new clutch, new cable, and resurfaced flywheel. From a driving standpoint, the car is night and day from what it was when I bought it. The clutch was supposedly new in 2021 with not many miles put on it prior to my purchase in 2023. It felt lousy and there was a ton of slop in the shifter (more so than the typical foxbody shifter slop). The clutch is super responsive now and the slop is all but gone! Was planning on putting in a short-throw after this work was done, but the shifter feels so good right now I don't really need to do it.

On the downside, the car seems to be running a bit hot. The fluid was a little low so I topped it off, but I took it for a short run yesterday and it seemed to be running a little hotter than it had been prior to overheating when the belt snapped. Not sure if I torched anything by driving it without the belt for a few miles, but I'm not seeing any drips of any kind right now after the limited driving I've done with it. Going to take it out on some short runs and see how it behaves. If all goes well, then the new exhaust system goes on!
    Had ~
    '81 Mustang Ghia Hatchback, red, 4-cylinder, 5-speed, slow, but looked great!

Have ~
    '83 Mustang GT Hatchback, white with black, stock 5.0, 5-speed, T-tops, dual exhaust

Matt - You probably just have a little air in the system from when the coolant splurged out. Keep topping it up. If you can get on an incline, run the car with the rad cap off for a while to speed up the burping.
    1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Quote Originally Posted by ITdude87 View Post
    Matt - You probably just have a little air in the system from when the coolant splurged out. Keep topping it up. If you can get on an incline, run the car with the rad cap off for a while to speed up the burping.
    Thanks! Was planning on doing some burping tomorrow, but didn't think about the incline. I'll either put it up on stands or just push it out onto my driveway. That's plenty inclined! We'll see what the weather's like. Stormy here today. Supposed to go to my nephew's HS graduation tonight, but they may have to move it inside and then there wouldn't be enough room for "extras". I'd be okay with that, though. Been a long week and I'd be super stoked to sign off at the end of the day, order pizza, and plant it on the couch!
    Had ~

Have ~
    '83 Mustang GT Hatchback, white with black, stock 5.0, 5-speed, T-tops, dual exhaust

Yah burb that baby. Wonder if t-stat is ok.

Trial fit of chain for temp securing control arm.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...95#post1956995
    Another annual car cruise Saturday. Car is down. Taking the Ranger this year. Lawn chair and cooler. Meeting up with friends.
    Cruise route runs past the former Ford dealer location where my Mustang was delivered new. Now is a Pep Boys store.
    Last edited by gr79; 06-14-2024 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Yah burb that baby. Wonder if t-stat is ok.
    I was wondering about the t-stat, as well. After the burp, if it's still running hot I'll probably replace the stat. Not like it's an expensive proposition.
    Had ~

Have ~

Well, burped the coolant system on Saturday on my inclined driveway. Took about 20 minutes. Once the t-stat opened up, the big bubbles came and the excess coolant in the funnel gulped down rather quickly. Added until it stayed level with no further bubbles. Let the car cool down and then took her for a short jaunt, couple miles, around the area. Ran slightly to the right of middle which is where it's run since I bought it. Let it cool down in the garage and checked the radiator. Level was right where I filled it. Sunday after church, no leaks under the car and radiator level was good. Took it out for a Father's Day afternoon drive after my older daughter went home. Put on about 20 to 30 miles. Other than it creeping up at a red light, it ran slightly to the right of middle. Got it back in the garage, cooled it down, and checked the level again. Right where it was before the ride! Thanks for the burping suggestions!! It was nice to have her out on the country roads again on a beautiful day with the T-roof out and the windows down!
    Had ~

Have ~

Yesterday:
    Dropped off the car to a mechanic recommended by a local buddy who just had gears installed in his '85 GT with positive feedback. The owner/operator also has a '94 Cobra he parks out back that's been pretty souped up, which lends a little extra credibility that he's familiar with the platform.

On the list:
    Drum brakes
    New pinion seal
    Headers (Thank you to those who helped me find the right studs/hardware. Going with the Ford Performance gaskets as well)

Last edited by ITdude87; 06-18-2024 at 11:27 AM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

FEP Power Member

Getting it ready for Foxfest!
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

Quote Originally Posted by ZEN50 View Post
    Getting it ready for Foxfest!
    Yessir!! This is the last of my list of things I've wanted to do since I've had the car.

I also added a really cool "dash badge" last week. Took every fiber of my soul to gain the courage to stick it down, but I dig it.

2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

FEP Power Member

Have functioning A/C now in the Turbo coupe, I guess it took a recharge, no leaks were detected (yet). Hopefully it holds up long enough for the Foxfest trip.
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345