Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks to both of you for the input!

The O2 sensor holes don't bother me too much since I'll be plugging them anyway. The difference in the angles is what stood out to me the most, and apparently it has to at least 2 of you, as well. Do either of you (or any others) have any insight into which bend seems more authentic/correct for this application? Does anyone think that one might fit better than the other? Visually comparing it to the old BBK-1507 (https://www.classicindustries.com/product/bbk1507.html), which is what I wanted, but is no longer available, it kind of looks like the MRT selection is more similar. The MRT O2 sensor locations also seem to be more in line with the BBK.

As to the drone, I'm kind of impartial. I typically will only be driving it with the T-tops out and music up so the drone will most likely be a non-factor. I'm almost at the point of settling for a catted H-pipe and just being done with it. It almost seems like trying to go "old school" off-road isn't worth it. I just want to start accumulating the components soon so that I can get everything to my buddy in the spring.

I have next to no experience with exhausts so this is all new to me. Hoping to draw on the experience, knowledge, and wisdom of those who still know that this forum exists.
    Had ~
    '81 Mustang Ghia Hatchback, red, 4-cylinder, 5-speed, slow, but looked great!

Have ~
    '83 Mustang GT Hatchback, white with black, stock 5.0, 5-speed, T-tops, dual exhaust

Not sure which one is more correct, but I agree with you that the MRT one more closely resembles the BBK one, from an angle-of-the-pipe perspective.

And I wouldn't totally discount the drone aspect of it.... an annoying one can be, well, very annoying .... and turning up the stereo doesn't necessarily alleviate the issue.

Also, a catted H-pipe will give you the benefit of probably not having unwanted smells.... something that is not uncommon with catless systems. Albeit at a (sometimes much) higher cost, due to the cats.

Not trying to sway you one way or another.... just want you to know some of the plusses and minuses of it all.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

I watched the video of the MRT one and it sounds incredible. However, it's mated to their one cat-back system that's pushing $1,200 alone. That's a bit much for a car I'm going to drive on nice weekends in the summer. The Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back is nearly half the cost and still provides the iconic 5.0 sound. I did really like the sound of the complete MRT system, though. It sounds mean.

I'm not opposed to a catted pipe, either. I'd like to get an off-road if I can, but the catted ones may just be easier to work with and they're definitely much more readily available.
    Had ~

Have ~
    '83 Mustang GT Hatchback, white with black, stock 5.0, 5-speed, T-tops, dual exhaust

Default compairing company takes on like parts

MRT has nice looking welds. Lifetime warranty. https://www.shopmrt.com/aboutus.asp
    They are in Plymouth Mi. Google mapped them. Small building. One dock, not much scrap out back.
    Wonder if they deal with OEM at a custom level? Are right near to major name auto supplier hq.
    Off site production mfg connections. Happens every day.
    MRT 304ss most expensive material, RPP offers 409ss lower cost option.
    BBK looks to have a slip connected H. No clamp? Aluminized tubing ok low price.
    MRT instead uses special one bolt clamps instead of captive flanges and 2 bolts, muffler end.

Tubing material type chart:
    https://static.summitracing.com/glob...8-ss_ww_xl.jpg

Another brand for comparison.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...tang/year/1983
    Last edited by gr79; 01-18-2024 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    MRT has nice looking welds. Lifetime warranty. https://www.shopmrt.com/aboutus.asp
    I think I'm leaning toward the MRT. It seems to be a pretty well-made part and Dave on their live chat was very quick to respond and answer any questions I had. I don't mind spending the extra for the T304 since I was originally expecting to pay around that much for a catted pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    I looked at the American Racing Header h-pipe before, but according to their site, you have to use their headers ("Note that this system will only work by using our Fox Body Headers"). A set of new shorty headers actually came with the car when I bought it so I don't want to have to buy another set. The ARH system looks really nice, though.
    Had ~

Have ~

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_83_GT View Post
    I looked at the American Racing Header h-pipe before, but according to their site, you have to use their headers ("Note that this system will only work by using our Fox Body Headers").
    Yea, saw that note too. Surprised they didn't make it so it would work with stock or aftermarket headers.

It's also a 3" system, which imo, can present fitment issues... as well as 3" may be a little large for a stock(ish) 5.0. I could see that negatively affecting low end torque.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    It's also a 3" system, which imo, can present fitment issues... as well as 3" may be a little large for a stock(ish) 5.0. I could see that negatively affecting low end torque.
    Yeah, I'd definitely want to go with 2.5. If you go to the American Racing Header site, their "Foxbody Midpipe" page gives you the options of X or H and then sizes 3x3, 3x2.5, and 2.5x2.5. So you could get one of theirs in 2.5, but I really don't want to be forced to buy new headers. Piecing this together is pricey enough without having to shell out a few hundred more for something I don't need. I can put that money towards fixing my power window issues.
    Had ~

Have ~

Well, I placed my order for the MRT off-road H. I also hit up LMR for a Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back, the dual exhaust hanging kit, a Stiffler double-hump tranny crossmember, and an upgraded tranny mount (needed for the new crossmember). Fingers crossed that my installer won't run into too much difficulty with it!
    Had ~

Have ~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12