Close

Default Swapping a non AC heater box in my 86?

Odd question....but....I am getting ready to start a heater core replacement. My 86 very iis a factory ac car, and I am not looking forward to it. Question is....can I swap the heater boxes out and keep the ac dash vents? Just pull out the old ac box, and put in a non AC heater box?

Not sure if it's that easy, as the firewall is different between the two. But someone with more experience will know for sure.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

The firewall is the same for 1986, but the hole location is different between the two boxes. The A/C box uses the large opening for the Evaporator lines and the heater core hoses. The heater only box doesn't use the large opening and the heater core lines are in a slightly different location and go through individual holes in the firewall from what I recall. Can it be done, Yes! You will have to fabricate a cover for the current large opening and possibly the mounting holes to make the switch.

I am sure you can modify the box to work with the A/C vents, but again that will take some fabrication and modification. Again doable, but how much fabrication I can not say as I have never attempted. In my experience a good quality heater core, using the OEM style restrictor in the heater hose, quality anti-freeze and correct mixture will allow for a long heater core life and most likely never have to replace it again. Much easier and quicker option than all the changes needed to go from A/C box to heater only. Just my .02, your opinion may vary. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

And the non A/C boxes are hard to find. If you have one already, that's half the battle, but like Trey said...
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

FEP Power Member

I believe what Trey was saying, just use the AC version of the heater box. Put a new heater core in and you should be good for a while. A big part of the difficulty is working with the AC lines intact.during the heater core replacement. I would put a black foam pad over the ac line holes from the inside.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles