Close

Default Getting new floor boards on my 83 GT

Hello all,

I am getting new Floor boards put on my 83 GT.

I am using the floorboards from NPD.

How hard is it to remove the rear seat floor board bolts and install in the new ones? The reproduction Floor Boards does not have them.

As you know the two holes on top is where they go. Thanks!

The car is n the shop right now. I will update with pictures.

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

My '83 needs this repair as well. In recent years some restorers advise just replacing "the whole thing" with a one-piece pan, but I am more-apt to just replace one side at a time. I know for certain, the replacement sections under the backseat are available for the '65-'68; I'd be surprised if they weren't available on Third Generation cars, too.

EDIT; good question about the floorboard bolts, I'm guessing you mean where the seatbelts anchor? I'm sure a decent number have done this repair already
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 12-06-2023 at 10:41 AM.

Rear sections are available here:

1979-1993 Ford Mustang Rear Floor Pan, Left Half - Driver's Side | Classic 2 Current Fabrication (c2cfabrication.com)

They are also available from C2C fabrication on Amazon, which is where I bought one from. I have not installed it yet.
    It looks to be an OK piece, and it was half the price of a full floor pan at the time of purchase. I would like the stamping to be a little deeper and sharper.
    Mike
    85 GT - owned since 87

I pulled my seats out to see what I had under the carpet.

Then I saw this, it looks mostly like surface rust, but that corner in the driver side looks replaced. It also had some weak spots and rust. So I decided to replace them.

I bought some floor pans from NPD

I took it to Creative Rods and Customs - https://www.creativerodsllc.com/

Photos from the Creative Rods and Customs

They cut out the driver side

Driver Side in

This is both floor pans in

Underneath - I had them put some undercoating to protect the EDP Metal

Car while they are working on it

The car is now in Quality Control - this is what it looks like now. Ignore the seat, I am getting the seats redone

Still have more work to do to get the interior done.

Thanks for looking
    Last edited by 83GTTops; 12-14-2023 at 01:35 PM.

The rear seat bolts should just be metal plates that are spot welded to the floor pan itself. You should be able to even reuse the originals if needed/wanted. Cut them off the original floor pan and use a grinder to grind down the sheet metal until you have a nice clean metal floor bolt plate. Drill I believe 4 spot welds in the proper location to spot the plate to the floor pans and weld in place. Should be relatively straightforward.

The front seat bolts are part of the support brace that runs across the transmission tunnel and has to be swapped over from the original floor or you can buy a replacement here: https://lmr.com/item/LRS-10692/1979-...Pan-Seat-Brace although it doesn't include the seat bolts if I remember correctly so you will need to add those too.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The rear seat bolts should just be metal plates that are spot welded to the floor pan itself. You should be able to even reuse the originals if needed/wanted. Cut them off the original floor pan and use a grinder to grind down the sheet metal until you have a nice clean metal floor bolt plate. Drill I believe 4 spot welds in the proper location to spot the plate to the floor pans and weld in place. Should be relatively straightforward.

The front seat bolts are part of the support brace that runs across the transmission tunnel and has to be swapped over from the original floor or you can buy a replacement here: https://lmr.com/item/LRS-10692/1979-...Pan-Seat-Brace although it doesn't include the seat bolts if I remember correctly so you will need to add those too.
    Thanks Trey