Close

whs

Default Input on Exprience With Polyurethane Bushings

Everything I have read says that the rear upper control arms should use the heavy duty rubber bushings. I am considering going with the ones from Steeda, they have the stiffer rubber bushings on the body side, and polyurethane ones for the rear end. However I would like to replace the other bushings front and rear all at once.

I am seeking input on your experiences with polyurethane bushings either from energy suspension or prothane. I have heard some negative feedback on the prothane bushings, which is why I am asking for input here.

Thank you.

My experience wih poly is that if you put them in all locations, your car will ride very rough and also be very dangerous in corners. Poly in all locations causes excessive bind. Leave the top ones stock.
    1979 Mercury Capri RS 5.0

cool86

go with the Ford uppers with upgraded rubber bushings and then you can use some lowers with poly- just went with the Steeda kit ( ford uppers and steeda boxed lowers) and the back end is extremely tight - car rides like new. the only downside is a bit more road noise with new LCAs

as others have said, poly at both ends will cause binding and eventually screw up your torque boxes. This is mostly a problem on street cars, that will see cornering and handling too, so if you are building a strip-only car, poly away.

I also agree with the cobra/frpp uppers (same thing, but the cobra units are cheaper) For the lowers I went with pro3i (very, very similar to max motorsports) it had poly at the body end, and a spherical metal like bushing at the axle end. Really good setup. I have a vert, so I can't tell if it's noiser or not.
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

Default poly

I am using the Steeda uppers (Stiffer rubber on both ends) with Mac Lowers (poly) and have been very happy with them. A little noisier but much better handling. When I had my subframe connectors welded I also had the shop add more welds to the torque box seams and all seems well. That was 5 years ago.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"