Close

Default Heater Core 1986 with A/C

I have read many negative posts regarding the aluminum replacement heater cores for the 1986 Mustangs with A/C.

I was wondering if it is advisable to have an original heater core rebuilt? Are there any places that even rebuild them anymore???

Just figured I would ask if anyone had any input
    1981 Capri "Black Magic" I6 (sold)
    1985 Mustang GT (sold) Oxford white T-Top
    1985.5 Mustang SVO 9L
    1986 Mustang SVO 1D

I've actually heard the opposite - The OEM ones are prone to leaking, not IF but WHEN.

YMMV I suppose
    1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

FEP Power Member

If you are thinking the OEM are a real problem then I guess you missed the first 15-20 years of use on the originals verses the 2-3 years of lifetime on a replacement heater core. After the first 15-20 years, who knows how poorly they were maintained. I have several cars which have only been replaced in recent years. 20-40 years on an original heater core is pretty good in my opinion. BTW, it was the brass aftermarket units with out the support weld that was prone to failure. The major complaint about the heater core is not the failure but the 8 hours to replace it! No one bitches about the non-ac cars.

84 svo still going
    84 GT 35 years
    85 Capri 21 years
    88 McLaren 35 years
    89 LX 33 years

Check your local radiator shop to have it rebuilt. If that doesn't work then try an internet search. The last guy found a place in NJ to have them rebuilt.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by ITdude87 View Post
    I've actually heard the opposite - The OEM ones are prone to leaking, not IF but WHEN.

YMMV I suppose
    They ALL will eventually have problems. I heard that aluminum units do not like green conventional antifreeze if the car is not driven often. I heard the aluminum units were / are fine if daily driven...

I want to hear all opinions tho. Thanks for the reply

I have an original one and it is in decent shape BUT I would not install it unless it was pressure tested and or rebuilt etc...
    1985.5 Mustang SVO 9L
    1986 Mustang SVO 1D

As far as I'm aware most modern heater cores are made out of aluminum so I think there might be a bit of a wives tale on the aluminum and green coolant thing. If it's filled with coolant it's filled with coolant whether it's running or sitting. Gun to my head, I'd trust a new one over a rebuilt but that's just me. If you've looking to maintain stealthy NOS looks, spritz the two ends with copper/brass color paint before putting your tubes on. However, copper and alloys are more corrosion resistant in acidic environments so.... who knows! If you've got an original - yep I'd probably pressure test it and run that if I was in your shoes.

$.02
    Last edited by ITdude87; 11-10-2023 at 07:26 PM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scenarioL113 View Post
    I have read many negative posts regarding the aluminum replacement heater cores for the 1986 Mustangs with A/C.

I was wondering if it is advisable to have an original heater core rebuilt? Are there any places that even rebuild them anymore???

Just figured I would ask if anyone had any input
    I purchased mine from Green Sales Company. They have the largest selection of Ford parts anywhere...

http://www.greensalescompany.com/

FEP Senior Member

They don't last long at all if you are running Green 50/50 mix coolant. That is if the car rest in slumber for a long time. You can flush the entire system and run dexcool or equivalent. That is an option. Have the original recored. The local guy here does an awesome job. He's recored my Mustang radiators, my Pantera radiator. Pressure test them way beyond the max pressure. Repaints them. He does the same with heater cores (pressure testing). If the shop has a good reputation, they can do it. BEST to either have that brass one recored or find a brass replacement.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

FEP Power Member

Anyone with a pre-1990 aluminum block engine, knows you should not be running 50/50 green coolant due to corrosion issues..It is not an old wive's tale. Ford never had to warn us about it since it was not an issue with blocks or aluminum heater cores. I believe its suggested to be more like 90/10 mix but that was before we had other types to choose from.

Go ahead an try out that lifetime warranty on the made in China heater core. Myself, I prefer to only replace it once in my lifetime. I have a local radiator shop that rebuilds heater cores and radiators here in CA.

FEP Power Member

Its been several years since I have seen an NOS heater core Ford or Motorcraft. I searched the number at Green Sales and came up with nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    China heater core.
    That is the part that scares me on something that is such horror show to do... Heater core replacement on the FOX chassis will give anyone a lifetime memory of the nightmare job it is.

I did my 1st heatercore in my 1981 Capri back in 1989 and I still remember tuggin and twisting the dash out of position and the noises of the creaking plastic, the cut and sliced knuckles and the memory of saying "WTF" about a hundred thousand times...
    Last edited by scenarioL113; 11-11-2023 at 09:37 AM. Reason: spelling
    1985.5 Mustang SVO 9L
    1986 Mustang SVO 1D

So glad I have a non-AC Four-Eye...

That said, I have run the the Dexcool type coolant or the Z05 (HOAT) type in everything I own. The Z05/HOAT type was specified for my last motorcycle (Triumph Trophy SE) which is pretty much solid aluminum. I have yet to need to re-replace a heater core be they brass or aluminum. I think the one in the Granada is a Chinese Al type (I forget). Going on 3 years/11000 miles. No, it's not a long time yet, but refer to my first sentence. LOL.

I did the same thing in my full sized Bronco. About 10 years on that replacement before I sold the rig, but it had Dexcool style coolant over the 50K miles I drove it.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by scenarioL113 View Post
    That is the part that scares me on something that is such horror show to do... Heater core replacement on the FOX chassis will give anyone a lifetime memory of the nightmare job it is.
    This is why I'm probably just going to leave mine bypassed, or pay the big bucks to have somebody with the experience to do it for me. I have no interest in partaking in that repair.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

MIKE’SVO86, I am near you in the over taxed state of Illinois (read your sig), would you share what shop rebuilds your radiators and heater core? I got one of each that would like to get rebuilt if it is possible. Was looking at a few shops but still undecided. Thank you.
    MCA#103463
    '86 GT Hatchback, T-Tops, 5 speed, Med Canyon Red, 21k miles.
    '85 GT Hatchback, Sunroof, 5-speed, Black, 11k miles.

FEP Power Member

I have replaced at least 10 heater cores in the last few years in mustangs and fairmonts with the aluminum ones. I have yet to have one leak. All I have done are still in the cars and working fine. I also use the 50/50 green mix.

Kendal
    Kendal

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMG-86GT View Post
    MIKE’SVO86, I am near you in the over taxed state of Illinois (read your sig), would you share what shop rebuilds your radiators and heater core? I got one of each that would like to get rebuilt if it is possible. Was looking at a few shops but still undecided. Thank you.
    It's Al's radiator shop in LaGrange. I just googled it and it's temp. closed. Not sure if that is true or not. The owner is a great guy and very knowledgeable. We used to use REX radiator in Bensenville at my old job. They did a good job too but I haven't used them in years.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by KCoker View Post
    I have replaced at least 10 heater cores in the last few years in mustangs and fairmonts with the aluminum ones. I have yet to have one leak. All I have done are still in the cars and working fine. I also use the 50/50 green mix.

Kendal

I think it becomes a problem if the cars sits for lengths of time.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Its been several years since I have seen an NOS heater core Ford or Motorcraft. I searched the number at Green Sales and came up with nothing.
    I see them on ebay alot, usually non-ac though.

I have, thankfully and knock on wood, never had to deal with a bad heater core in all my years and the various foxbodys ive had because it does not look like a fun job and if the options are like radiators im not looking forward to redoing them because of cheap manufacture.
    I recall the oem ones failing alot because of some restriction fitting they didnt get that the later ones and service vehicles did.
    Last edited by 1984GTTurboVert; 11-25-2023 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE'SVO86 View Post
    It's Al's radiator shop in LaGrange. I just googled it and it's temp. closed. Not sure if that is true or not. The owner is a great guy and very knowledgeable. We used to use REX radiator in Bensenville at my old job. They did a good job too but I haven't used them in years.
    I do see REX has multiple locations these days too. I will look into those. Much appreciated. Thank you.
    MCA#103463
    '86 GT Hatchback, T-Tops, 5 speed, Med Canyon Red, 21k miles.
    '85 GT Hatchback, Sunroof, 5-speed, Black, 11k miles.

Another shop doing re-coring is RadiatorExpress.com. Last I checked, it was $375 and 2 weeks to get it done.

I bought a nos brass one off ebay.... but that was almost 2 years ago.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Quote Originally Posted by KCoker View Post

Kendal
    The green stuff being evil and eroding aluminum may have been true years ago, but everything I'm reading about it says the modern formulation and additives are different, specifically for aluminum compatibility. It's good practice to change the coolant every couple years anyways regardless of the color. Idk...I'm not a scientist.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Quote Originally Posted by ITdude87 View Post
    The green stuff being evil and eroding aluminum may have been true years ago, but everything I'm reading about it says the modern formulation and additives are different, specifically for aluminum compatibility. It's good practice to change the coolant every couple years anyways regardless of the color. Idk...I'm not a scientist.
    After working on cars for almost 50 years Yes Im 65 years old !! I have own around 60 cars 7 being Fox bodies and two that I still have . What seems to work on Heater cores and keeping them from leaking and going bad is this:

1) Change your Anti-Freeze coolant ever 2-3 years .
    2) Do a drain and fill only as our cars age back pressure from power flush can do damage
    3) Change your radiator cap every 3-4 years Use a Motorcraft or a Slant Do not use cheap imports ( This is the only true safety valve)
    4) Use a Radiator product to add to the coolant that lubes the water pump and has a anti- rust product.
    5) Put in a table spoon of Bars-leak on each drain ( just a little)
    6) Make sure you have the restrictor in place , This is located in the heater hose that goes into the heater core . To confirm that you have one installed . use a magnet to find it. Its about the size of a 3/8 socket ( short) As the 302/ 5.0 Liter grew up over the years . By 1979 the
    302 was installed in the Mustang and Capri It was changed in 1980-81to 255/4.2 liter it was not that powerful But in 1982 the power
    increased . But by 1985 the 302 /5.0 was a super power plant and the pressure increased in the Heater Core and in 1986 the water pump
    was now a moving more coolant also. Heater cores started leaking and swelling and l this is why we have the restrictors

7) Get some test strips to test for acid in your coolant Any thing under 70% change your coolant

Maintenance is the secret!!! Chris

Its all about Maintenance

$375 to re-core a heater core? Ouch. Or is that for a radiator?

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    Another shop doing re-coring is RadiatorExpress.com. Last I checked, it was $375 and 2 weeks to get it done.

I bought a nos brass one off ebay.... but that was almost 2 years ago.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
    $375 to re-core a heater core? Ouch. Or is that for a radiator?
    That's for a heater core. I'd be a little scared to ask what a radiator re-core would cost.

Then again, if one really doesn't want an aftermarket part, then it would be worth it, imo.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

FEP Power Member

I had an OEM 92 radiator recored, it was close to $800. It's for sale.