Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My Hood Flew up on my 83 GT. Before and After pictures

Hello All,

I thought I would add here to increase viewership on this site.

Two years ago the day after Thanksgiving, I was driving my 83 GT and the hood flew up. It was wild, I could see nothing. I pulled over on the side of the road.

It crunched my Cowl, and bent the ends of my hood.

I was sick.

I looked around for a body shop and no one wanted to work on an older car.

I was recommended by an another body shop - 'Ozone Collision Center' they were great to work with

Here is my car getting dropped off. - Note, see how the hood would not even shut.

It took a long time! 6 months!

Here is my first photo, they were really good to txt me pictures of the process

Fixing the Cowl.

Then I needed a new hood. What was hard was finding the 83 Hood Scoop since mine was broken in the incident. I found this scoop used from Canada off of Ebay.

Sanding hood and hood scoop down

Painting the Hood

Hood Scoop

Sanding the front end to blend in.

Painting the new Hood Scoops and Brackets

Additional Items - The rear hatch had some surface rust on the top, so I wanted that taken care of

Before

After

The car was painted before I got it, and they did not paint the gas cap area. That bugged me, so I had that fixed as well

Before

After

The day I picked it up 6 months later!

Side By side

I had to get rid of the Ten Holes, not right for the year. I have the TRX's too, but love the Mesh Wheels

Please insure your car! I was able to file a claim with American Collectors. They were great to work with.

Last edited by 83GTTops; 11-07-2023 at 12:51 PM.

Looks like it turned out great! Glad it all worked out.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Great recovery!

I've mentioned this before, and wish everybody knew about this who owns an '83. There is a Manufacturers Defect with the '83 Hood Release. When somebody pulls back the Hood Release to open the hood, its necessary to push it back to its original location or the catch will not completely engage

Quote Originally Posted by 85MUSTANGTGT View Post
    Looks like it turned out great! Glad it all worked out.
    Thanks Thomas! I am glad it worked out too

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    Great recovery!

I've mentioned this before, and wish everybody knew about this who owns an '83. There is a Manufacturers Defect with the '83 Hood Release. When somebody pulls back the Hood Release to open the hood, its necessary to push it back to its original location or the catch will not completely engage
    Thanks Bryan

I am for sure going to push in the pull from now on!

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 83GTTops View Post
    Thanks Bryan

I am for sure going to push in the pull from now on!
    Excellent

Dude your car looks amazing. I would be sick to my stomach if this had happened to me.

I just wanted to drop in and say I love the way your car looks, and I guess 83's in general (hood scoop and GT on the fenders). The shop did a great job judging from the photos.....6 months well worth it.

What wheels are those if you don't mind me asking? They really finish everything off. Any issues with fitment/rubbing?
    1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Sharp looking car.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Looks like they did a great job on your car as it looks awesome. The mesh wheels look really good on there.

Terrible what had happened but turned out even better in the end. Looks amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by ITdude87 View Post
    Dude your car looks amazing. I would be sick to my stomach if this had happened to me.

I just wanted to drop in and say I love the way your car looks, and I guess 83's in general (hood scoop and GT on the fenders). The shop did a great job judging from the photos.....6 months well worth it.

What wheels are those if you don't mind me asking? They really finish everything off. Any issues with fitment/rubbing?
    Thank you I appreciate this.

I bought my wheels from a friend. I knew he had two sets, one Gold and One Black. He has an 82 GT. I asked him the same questions. Do they rub, etc.

I have only minor issues, if I turn to the right in a full circle, wheel locked it seems to rub slightly. They offer a kit, which stops this. I just have not installed it yet.

They are SVE Wheels from here.

https://lmr.com/item/WTK-806782/must...black-z5-79-93

Thank you all for the kind words!

Looks great! My daughter, who lives in Simpsonville, is still mad at me for selling my '83 to someone that wasn't her.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by richpet View Post
    Looks great! My daughter, who lives in Simpsonville, is still mad at me for selling my '83 to someone that wasn't her.
    Your daughter is close to me. Cool! Looks like you have a fun Granada going there!

Planning to be out that way this next April. Gotta see the grand baby again.
    Thanks! It has been fun!
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Years ago one of the safety tips I was taught at a track day was to lift my hood and see where I’d have to look if it popped open on the track. Sometimes it was under the hood gap but sometimes it was out the window. Guess the same tip works on our street cars too.
    Steve

1983 Mustang GT
    Popular Hot Rodding Project Car '83/84

1983 Capri 331 ci, TKO600

Car looks amazing great work!!
    1979 Ghia Coupe
    5.0/C4
    Polar White
    1981 Cobra
    Gen 2 Coyote/6R80
    Bright Bittersweet
    2022 Mustang GT
    10r80 Whipple
    Eruption Green

Repair came out great!
    My hood flew up on me this summer, it was my own damn fault. It took me a couple weeks to repair the cowl, the hood, the firewall and the hinges.
    Looks fine from 20ft away.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Glad to see you were able to get the car repaired, looks good.

Been a few years since I have seen you on the MCA show field.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    Glad to see you were able to get the car repaired, looks good.

Been a few years since I have seen you on the MCA show field.
    I know, I miss it! I have two small kids. They take most of my time. I will be back there

Wow, car looks great! I'm a big fan of the 10-hole wheels, but those black mesh wheels look incredible on your car. Well done!
    Had ~
    '81 Mustang Ghia Hatchback, red, 4-cylinder, 5-speed, slow, but looked great!

Have ~
    '83 Mustang GT Hatchback, white with black, stock 5.0, 5-speed, T-tops, dual exhaust

Isn't there a safety catch to prevent this from happening? Seems as if I see this alot with fox bodies??

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_83_GT View Post
    Wow, car looks great! I'm a big fan of the 10-hole wheels, but those black mesh wheels look incredible on your car. Well done!
    Thank you for the kind words! I like your 83 GT too!

Thank you for the kind words! I like your 83 GT too!
    Thanks! What exhaust are you running on yours?
    Had ~
    '81 Mustang Ghia Hatchback, red, 4-cylinder, 5-speed, slow, but looked great!

Have ~
    '83 Mustang GT Hatchback, white with black, stock 5.0, 5-speed, T-tops, dual exhaust

I am running BBK Ceramic headers and FlowMaster mufflers.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/exha.../164834/150315

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast