Close

Default GT40 upper and lower for an 86

Questions.

Debating on finding a GT40 tubular upper and lower intake manifold for the 86' this winter.

Is this plug and play friendly with speed density?

Are the factory injectors and throttle body OK with this combo?

Are there any "gotchas" to consider?

What should I look out for? I see there could possibly be some minor variations on the lowers?

Any information before I even start looking would be great. If this is a plug and play swap I think I'll go for it. Extra power is nice, but I'm doing it primarily for the cool factor and looks - Would prefer not to swap computers or go MAF.
    1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Quote Originally Posted by ITdude87 View Post
    Questions.

Debating on finding a GT40 tubular upper and lower intake manifold for the 86' this winter.

Are the factory injectors and throttle body OK with this combo?

Are there any "gotchas" to consider?

What should I look out for? I see there could possibly be some minor variations on the lowers?

Any information before I even start looking would be great. If this is a plug and play swap I think I'll go for it. Extra power is nice, but I'm doing it primarily for the cool factor and looks - Would prefer not to swap computers or go MAF.
    Considering a GT40 tubular upper and lower intake manifold for the '86 raises questions on compatibility with speed density, injector and throttle body suitability, any complications, and potential variations. Seeking pre-research guidance for a plug-and-play swap is the aim, focusing on aesthetics without altering computers or using MAF.

Thanks Robocop?
    Last edited by ITdude87; 11-09-2023 at 10:42 AM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

FEP Power Member

Ahhh what?
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

Quote Originally Posted by ZEN50 View Post
    Ahhh what?
    Im missing something and confused as well. lol
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

I'm not sure myself, but Aarav is a brand new member. And his 2 posts seem like something ChatGPT (or some kinda other AI computer), would write. Dunno though.

Is that what you were getting at ITdude87?
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    I'm not sure myself, but Aarav is a brand new member. And his 2 posts seem like something ChatGPT (or some kinda other AI computer), would write. Dunno though.

Is that what you were getting at ITdude87?
    Yep. I can smell a bot a mile away.

"Thanks Robocop" was sarcasm

Soooo....About those sweet tubulars??
    Last edited by ITdude87; 11-09-2023 at 11:46 AM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Not really....

The "GT40 family" flow better in high RPM but less velocity at low RPM. A speed density ECU is not calibrated for, so load is not correct.
    1983 Ford Capri V8 Conversion
    1985 Ford Granada Station V8 Conversion
    1991 Ford Sierra Station 2.9 Cosworth 4WD Restomod

Yeah. Facts.

I did some more digging around and it sounds like a MAF/Computer/TB (86's are smaller than others)/Injector swap would make it the happiest - Not really a plug and play deal.

Maybe some other day.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

FEP Senior Member

Yep, 86 was the most choked out year for the 5.0. You'd need to do everything you have listed, plus heads (E7s or GT40Ps) to utilize that intake.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

I like the tubular, a good manifold for street use. I'm just building this motor for my capri.
    Name:  20220918_145019.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  184.8 KB

FEP Power Member

Slap a 65mm TB on it and call it good, no need to swap to MAF or all that other stuff. Sure, it won't make huge HP gains but it will look cool
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

Call me crazy but that’s sorta what I’m going for Zen. Something really mild and more for looks. How about the EGR piece, would that match up to a 65mm? If I can do that and not worry about the car running poorly, think I’d go for it and start my treasure hunt.

I’m going to pull the upper and lower to get some new gaskets in anyways, and I’d like to use that as my chance to swap.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Had to bore mine out..............

86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

FEP Senior Member

Now that's the way to do it. Offering a machining service?
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE'SVO86 View Post
    Now that's the way to do it. Offering a machining service?
    All my stuff is a labor of love. We (woman and I) have 11 vehicles, 2 trailers, boat (and trailer), bobcat.
    Don't have much time for stuff like that, and it's rarely fun doing stuff the second time, LOL!!
    I will retire in 2-3 years though, then maybe.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

FEP Senior Member

Understand. Figured I'd ask.

FEP Power Member

You can buy larger spacers, 65mm. Heck I probably have a used 65mm spacer & TB here laying on the shelf.
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

Call me crazy but that’s sorta what I’m going for Zen. Something really mild and more for looks. How about the EGR piece, would that match up to a 65mm? If I can do that and not worry about the car running poorly, think I’d go for it and start my treasure hunt.

I’m going to pull the upper and lower to get some new gaskets in anyways, and I’d like to use that as my chance to swap.
    Do it! It'll run fine. A cam change is what can really throw off the SD. The E6 heads are the big bottleneck, the tubular wont reach its full ability, but will run fine.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by mcb82gt View Post
    the tubular wont reach its full ability, but will run fine.
    Roger that. This would be more for cosmetics than power, appreciate the input.

It sounds like the 87 cars used 19lb injectors and 65mm TB's as opposed to 19lb/55mm in 86. - So fuel injectors would be good to go.

What worries me is the computer not knowing it's got ~15% more airflow from the larger TB, and to be honest, I just don't know a ton about how speed density works other than it reads manifold pressure and adjusts fuel from there. I think it's safe to assume the 87's have a different computer to compensate? OR...Would the 86 computer be smart enough to see the increase in pressure from the +15% and adjust? In theory it would be similar to the difference between a cold sea level and a hot mountain car back in the day - yeah? Overthinking this?

Heck I probably have a used 65mm spacer & TB here laying on the shelf.
    Take a look and let me know!
    Last edited by ITdude87; 11-13-2023 at 11:42 AM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

FEP Senior Member

You can buy larger spacers, 65mm. Heck I probably have a used 65mm spacer & TB here laying on the shelf.
    Yep, hard to find the 67MM Ford Motorsport spacer, so this would be a good alternative, keeping it Ford parts.

A speed density ECU works with theoretical values. It commands fuel by comparing:

RPM vs. TPS vs. MAP

Correct air flow to/with ECU? Use a MAF-Sensor.

Roger that. This would be more for cosmetics than power, appreciate the input.

It sounds like the 87 cars used 19lb injectors and 65mm TB's as opposed to 19lb/55mm in 86. - So fuel injectors would be good to go.

What worries me is the computer not knowing it's got ~15% more airflow from the larger TB, and to be honest, I just don't know a ton about how speed density works other than it reads manifold pressure and adjusts fuel from there. I think it's safe to assume the 87's have a different computer to compensate? OR...Would the 86 computer be smart enough to see the increase in pressure from the +15% and adjust? In theory it would be similar to the difference between a cold sea level and a hot mountain car back in the day - yeah? Overthinking this?

Take a look and let me know!
    I run the larger HO throttle body on my 88 cougar stock ecm and 14lb injectors. Youll be fine. The SD setup can compensate a bit and adjust for the increased airflow.

the 87 up cars had 60mm TB
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

86 was 58mm throttle body (87/88+ mass air meter was 55mm).
    Last edited by OX1; 11-16-2023 at 08:35 AM.

@ITdude87 - Not sure if this link will work for ya....

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/li...chment&__cft__[0]=AZXKwZFaK2pj1IyZ24nhT32k2g_tJ9kmeaSPlP3MhwtmHF6i8 TLO9BLhtUzHtZ_O_O2F_ifvSgzXs6egn1roA5ll7sRKmfTaZed rpFVfrH0x_1qBGqzsQ-ftzevDdFHU8V5clEgCgEDHp-8PbFNj-T_Enbwd_soT4TGzmhM9iVlWfA&__tn__=E!%3A%3EH-R
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)