Close

Default 99-04 seats in a Fox body

Howdy!
    Tried a search, didn't see anything.
    How difficult is it to mount 99-04 Mustang seats in a fox-body? Found a decent set and am thinking they would be a good upgrade for my low-back Granada seats. Got rear-ended a while back and, well, it kinda hurt.
    Even thinking of mounting them direct to the floor. The wife will never drive it and I never adjust it anyway.
    I did remove the seat belt loops...
    Name:  Seats.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  428.0 KB
    Last edited by richpet; 11-05-2023 at 07:06 PM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I've had a couple sets of the 94-98 seats in various Foxes without issue. The 99-04 should bolt up fine to your existing seat tracks.

The only thing I recall is that they sat a little taller than the Fox seats.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Arguably the most-comfortable Mustang seat up to that point. On my Lunch Hour, I remember taking-out a newish '99 no-option stick, whenever I could. Boy that car was comfortable. Should be an easy fit--less than 1 day

Thanks for the info!
    They look to be in good shape and I can get them for a lot less than new seats.
    I just wasn't sure how much the mounts changed from 1981 to 1999.
    I don't really want to use my seat tracks as they are the single-sided (?) type that always feel as if they are shifting under you a bit - never fully 'locked/stable'. I think these even have the tracks - passenger mechanical and driver power.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

The mounting points on the bottom of the seats didn't change much, if at all through '04.

Not sure what seat base-to-floor mounting spacing your car has (I know the F/Z's are line the Mustangs, but the LTDs are like the TBirds), but even if they don't line up as-is, you could probably easily mate the new seat tracks to your floor.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Awesome, thanks! I'm looking forward to:

A bit of head/neck protection
    Fairly comfy
    A bit more supportive during spirited driving.
    And, they'll look better than what I've got.

I *might get some nice red seat covers. Time will tell.

FEP Power Member

I believe 65-04 seats can be used. The bolt pattern is the same. Just use your seat tracks. I believe the seat tracks got taller in 87. The earlier (79-86) seat tracks only have single locks on the rails so they rock slightly.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote- "KevinK-I believe 65-04 seats can be used. The bolt pattern is the same. Just use your seat tracks. I believe the seat tracks got taller in 87. The earlier (79-86) seat tracks only have single locks on the rails so they rock slightly."

Exactly why I may well try to use the newer tracks. Doing a little bending/etc. might be worth it. Not that I need a power driver seat...
    Worst case will be my old tracks.

These are the seats. Very small holes in a couple places, but real nice!
    The fella I bought them from had a nice Saleen ('95?) and one of the only original Rousch Mustangs from '94.

Pic edited in to first post.
    Last edited by richpet; 11-05-2023 at 07:07 PM.

FEP Senior Member

I put a set in a '76 Maverick, over a decade ago. It was my daily driver. Had to do some modding but overall, nice fit. Had the back seat matched to the front seat material.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

My first car back in 1986 was a '76 Maverick, 4-door, 250 I6.

I think I will remove the tracks from the 'new' passenger seat and see where they lie when placed on my floorboards. I'm guessing a little bending, maybe drilling a new hole or two.

The head rests don't come out?? They only seem to rise one 'click'.

Appreciate it!
    Last edited by richpet; 11-05-2023 at 07:34 PM.

For those curious:

Seats are a DIRECT bolt in with the later model tracks still on the seats. You just gotta remove the seat belt end by removing the 18mm nut.
    The driver seat is power, so to get it adjusted it is only two wires to hook up (3 if you have the adjustable lumbar). I have yet to decide if I will adjust it and leave wires out (using a battery and jumper wires) or later run a 12v and ground to it so it always works.

Newer double sided locking seat tracks feel a LOT more secure.

Quote Originally Posted by richpet View Post
    For those curious:

Seats are a DIRECT bolt in with the later model tracks still on the seats.

Newer double sided locking seat tracks feel a LOT more secure.
    Awesome. I was figuring the Granadas were like the F/Z's in that respect.

Now you need to post some pics!
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

They do not feel as if they sit any higher - if so it isn't much. Passenger seat fully bolted in.

Driver side isn't fully mounted yet. Due to previous owner(s) there are two bolt issues on that side:

The RR stud hole got stripped. To 'fix' I had previously ran a slightly smaller diameter bolt up through the bottom of the car, through the SFC. When I pulled out the old seat the bolt of course fell out the bottom. I do not have a garage, only a carport, and the rain runs in it and drains out the side. I do not feel like laying on wet concrete yet so its gottta wait until I feel the urge to get my arm under there and thread up the bolt.

The front left mounting hole actually broke off. To 'fix' I have to hold the piece of steel up by threading a couple fingers through nearby holes and hold it up while inserting the bolt. I plan to weld it back, just haven't yet.

I also need to extend two of the wires under the seat for the power adjustment to work. Easier when it isn't mounted fully.

But, I could just set it in there for visuals...
    Last edited by richpet; 11-06-2023 at 12:13 PM.

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by richpet View Post
    My first car back in 1986 was a '76 Maverick, 4-door, 250 I6.

I think I will remove the tracks from the 'new' passenger seat and see where they lie when placed on my floorboards. I'm guessing a little bending, maybe drilling a new hole or two.

The head rests don't come out?? They only seem to rise one 'click'.

Appreciate it!
    Cool. Mine was a 2 door. I6 250. I put a Clifford header on it, with a 2 bbl adapter. Had a Flowmaster on it too. Sounded like a helicopter. I'm sure that car is long gone now and has come back as a KIA. My Father had a 71 Grabber and we would go to car shows with both. I have the Grabber now with my Father's passing in 2010. It's actually my sons. Willed to him.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

Cool! I always liked the Maverick body style in 2-door, especially the Grabber.

Pics of the seats in:Name:  Seats 1.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  490.7 KBName:  Seats 3.jpg
Size:  485.2 KBName:  Seats 2.jpg
Size:  362.4 KB

Back in 95, Saleen use to sell take-off parts from new mustang’s when they converted them to Saleens. I bought Black/charcoal cloth for my 89 with blue interior. Good fit.

Got them fully in! I put the battery on the backseat floor and powered up the seat to adjust it how I like it. Higher, more upright, and the correct distance from the wheel/pedals. For now the LF bolt is secured well using the broken mount. It broke inward/downward, like too heavy a person plopped down one too many times - it wasn't broken up/out like it got rear-ended and broke. I put a large washer over the chunk, weaved a metal rod in from the side to hold it up while I got the bolt started. Tightened her down. Longer fingers and a third hand would have simplified it greatly.

Seats look great! I put 99 seats in my Zephyr and they bolted right in just like yours. Nice job!
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.