Close

Default Dry ice blasting/cleaning

Have any of you done this or have any thoughts?

It seems like this is a relatively new concept, but I've seen it pop up on YouTube and social media for the last year or so randomly. Look it up if you haven't! The results look pretty incredible and there aren't any harsh chemicals being used.

Anyways...I bumped into a guy today who started doing this locally with a brand new shop for ~$220 an hour, and I think I might buy a couple hours to give it a shot sometime before the car is put away for the year.
    Last edited by ITdude87; 09-09-2023 at 03:29 PM.
    1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

I don't know if cross linking to another site is still allowed on here, but check out Post 9 and 10 from Corral. This member had his chassis dry ice blasted and it looks brand new!

https://www.corral.net/threads/93-ca...#post-18780585

He also told me in another thread over there that dry ice blasting can also be used on the interior of vehicles too. He said his detailer charged him $900, and to me, that's a bargain for the result.

I've seen online videos/images of other vehicle results too and it's definitely worth it on older vehicles that are being restored. I would consider it for my 93 (in the future) once so get to the point where aim ready.
    - Phil
    1994 Cobra Coupe SVT #13 and 2018 Mustang EB Premium w/Perf Pack

FEP Power Member

The process has been around more than 20 years. We used it in the semiconductor industry for cleaning as well. Not sure why it faded out. Likely because we were cleaning inside the clean room and it has to go someplace. We used CO2 directly from the gas bottle at 800 psi IIRC.

I believe there is a guy on ConcoursMustang.com who provides the service using dry ice. This and the laser rust removal looks very impressive as well.. Possibly some consideration for my next career.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    ....and the laser rust removal looks very impressive as well.
    The vids I've seen of that laser rust removal look amazing! Almost unbelievable how well it works.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)