Close

Thread: Replace struts

Default Replace struts

Do I need a front wheel alignment after replacing the front struts on my 79 PC?

IMO--yes.
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

You might wind up needing to (re)adjust the camber.

There is a little bit of slop where the struts mount to the spindle, which can affect the camber setting, when it all is put back together.
    You can see this when you tighten the bolts up a bit (before you start clamping things) and if you push/pull on the strut. You'll see that you can slightly alter the angle between the strut and the spindle at the mounting bolts. This will affect the camber angle.

Before you start taking things apart, see what your camber is at the wheels while the car is on the ground, for your start point. Easy enough to check with an angle finder and a straight edge.

When you get the car in the air and the wheels off, check the angle of the rotor while it's hanging.

Check this before you loosen the strut bolts and if you're using rotors with a separate hub (like the SN-95 stuff), make sure the rotor is tight to the hub. No need to worry about that bit with the standard Fox rotors, as the hub is integrated.

Make note of that angle (and don't turn the steering wheel to keep the wheels pointing straight ahead, or lock them). Then when you put the new struts in, adjust the strut/spindle to your reference angle before tightening them down.

I say not to turn the steering wheel, as there is some camber change during turning/steering, which would alter your measurement at the rotor.

When everything is back together and you drive the car a bit to let the suspension settle, recheck your camber at the wheels to see if it matches what you started with.

I do this all of the time, and honestly haven't taken a car to an alignment shop in decades (and haven't had any issues with tire wear, etc).

I've had a couple cars that I have elongated the holes in the struts to allow for more adjustment between the strut and the spindle, to help make up for a lack of CC plates up top. If I pull things apart, I always note what that spindle/strut angle is before I start, just so I can get it all back together in the same location.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Yes, an alignment would typically be needed. Although Chuck W's method may be a way to get around it.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Most shops offer a free alignment check. You can always have it checked after the fact. If the alignment is off enough to warrant one, then have them do it, if not then at least you know it's close enough.

Stock Foxes really only allow for Toe and some Camber adjustment. Unless you have CC Plates Caster is not adjustable in stock form. So generally if you don't move the top strut plates, you just remove the strut nut you will not alter the alignment much if any during a replacement. Now what the actual alignment was to start with could be an issue. Best of Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Stock Foxes really only allow for Toe and some Camber adjustment. Unless you have CC Plates Caster is not adjustable in stock form. So generally if you don't move the top strut plates, you just remove the strut nut you will not alter the alignment much if any during a replacement. Now what the actual alignment was to start with could be an issue. Best of Luck!
    In "theory" the camber shouldn't change with the stock upper mount in place, but it's still worth a check.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Thanks for the replies. I'll check the angle as Chuck suggests, just to be sure.