Close

FEP Senior Member

Default Who's running a 6 Speed and What?

Is the T56 Magnum the best option? Looking to be somewhat economical on the cost too. What all needs to be swapped if I used a GM spec T56. Thanks!
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

I believe a GM uses a 26-spline input shaft, so at least a clutch disc and bell housing change.
    Quick Time RM-6050 Quick Time Bellhousing - Ford 5.0/5.8L (holley.com)
    Mike
    85 GT - owned since 87

FEP Senior Member

Best option depends on a lot of things. I really like the T56, but the cost of the trans itself and then the bellhousing is a little steep for me. I do not know why they stopped making the aluminum bellhousing that could be use to mate it to a SBF.

Have you looked into the TKX at all? Richmond also has an "Internal Rail 5 Speed" for roughly the same cost, but they won't answer any of my questions about it. It looks like it might be slightly improved over the old TKO. Mysteriously, after the TKX came a lot of used TKO's popped up for sale.

Are you converting an automatic car or upgrading a T-5 car? What are you looking to do with the car?
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

FEP Senior Member

Yep, "upgrading" a T5 car. Single turbo SBF. TKO is another option, but having a 6 speed in it would be nice and updated.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!

FEP Senior Member

TKO isn't really an option if you are looking new. They stopped selling it when the TKX came out. I mainly brought it up because you might be able to get a good used one for cheap. Although everybody I see selling used TKO's seem to think they are worth a couple hundred less than a new TKX which I disagree with. The TKO was plagued with shifting issues at higher RPM. The TKX is said to fix the issues with the old TKO. Everything I have read on the TKX says it is an excellent trans. My comment above about being slightly improved over the TKO was in reference to the Richmond Internal Rail 5 speed. It has the same case construction as the TKO. The case construction of the TKX is similar to the T56 and should be much more rigid than the TKO.

The term T56 can mean a lot of different things. They sell a new aftermarket T56 Magnum, but it is closer to the TR6060 which is an excellent transmission. I think they kept the T56 moniker because people are familiar with it. There are also a lot of used OEM T56 options (Camaro/Firebird, Viper, Cobra). They all have their issues to work out when putting it into your car. Add in the fact that they aren't much cheaper than the new aftermarket trans and who knows what kind of abuse they have seen and they don't make a ton of sense in my mind.

I think in the end it comes down to TKX or T56 Magnum. The TKX is lighter, cheaper, and is a closer fit to your original T5. The T56 Magnum has the cool 6 speed factor, but it will be more expensive to get up and running. Obviously the gear spreads will be closer on the 6 speed and it can handle more torque than the TKX (T56 - 700 ft-lbs, TKX - 600 ft-lbs), but is it worth the extra cost? I don't know. The biggest advantage to the T56 Magnum in my mind is you can get it with a really tall 6th gear which would allow you to run pretty short gears out back, but still maintain highway drivability. I don't think you can go wrong with either trans. For me I'd love to have the T56 Magnum, but it is just too much money. I'm not a street racer/road racer/drag racer I just drive my rigs though so how you use it may sway you one way or the other.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

FEP Senior Member

OK, this is going to be a build on a budget. I'm looking at used parts across the board. The car will end up being my sons. The 8.8 is a 3.73. Thanks for the info. I need to ponder.