Close

Default Rear bumper removal

On my 83 Mustang...
    It looks like there are two brackets with 8 or 6 bolts ( mine has 3 bolts on each side, but there is 1 hole on each side that might not have a bolt in it) attached to the bumper... will the bumper than come off? or are there some other fasteners I can't see? As in where the bumper cover attaches to the rear qtr panels??

Lets back up here.. Do I need to remove the plastic cover from the rear bumper first? or can it be removed as a unit ( plastic bumper cover and the metal bumper under it?
    Thanks for any help

EDIT.. I just watched the LMR removal video and it looks a bit more to it than I thought.... I can probably figure this out...
    Any help is still appreciated...
    Last edited by Bentley; 08-23-2023 at 08:50 AM.

So if I take off the one large bolt on the rear frame that looks like its holding these on, ( one on each side) will these bumper brackets pull out??
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Yes

They generally need some persuasion to get them out, but they will come out. Sometimes a BFH is needed depending on the amount of grime, dirt, rust, etc. that might be in the tube.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

BFH I can do.... Thanks

Maybe squirt a little penetrating oil in there, if you can.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Only thing rusty on the car was the rear bumper " reinforcement" and LMR just happens to reproduce one.....

https://b82e635d08be0f90b45e-351c199...t_213b2187.jpg

The pace car I'm working on right now had an unbelievable amount of dirt and gravel collected in the rear bumper area. I bet it could have easily filled a 2-gallon bucket. It obviously spent some time navigating some dirt/gravel roads. I couldn't tell you how many of these ol fox mustangs I've worked on and I've never seen anything like it. Sorry. Not really relevant to your thread, but it reminded me of lying under that car trying to get the rear bumper cover off and cursing with a face full of gravel that just kept coming lol! Hadn't shared that one yet, so I thought you might feel better about your situation!
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Drivers side bumper " bracket " came right out, but how in the hell do you get the bolt off of the passenger side brkt ?? I cannot get the wrench to fit and have any room to pull and no way can I get a socket wrench connected to the socket?? Drivers side bolt came off the outside, but the pass side comes off the to the inside of the frame??
    Do I need to remove the fuel tank???

If an access hole was cut in the trunk/hatch floor above the bolt, it could be cut in two with a cut off tool.
    The floor in my car back there was rusted so i cut the metal out with snips and replaced with new metal.
    Made it easy to add a new style tp hanger on the ds.
    Did vacuum lots of stones and sand from the inside of the frame rails. Dirt roads are avoided when possible.
    Sprayed the inside of the rails with black hammer paint and sealed frame holes used during trip down the assy line.

I think I will try my Trick Flow spark plug socket if it doesn't work I might buy one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Made it easy to add a new style tp hanger on the ds.
    Could you expand on this some?? Is there an upgrade to these from a newer model? thanks

79 had a different long twin tailpipe and hanger. Rubber and metal.
    Car now has the shorter twin tips 82-85. New style compared to 79.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...obra-Tail-pipe

Went out just now to refresh memory on hanger config. Have changed it over the years.
    Cobbled up with two muffler clamps, one bolt, and one universal hanger.
    One clamp on the inboard tip to hanger end, one clamp sideways thru existing extra frame holes and hanger.
    One bolt thru topmost hole on hanger then thru frame in the correct frame hole.
    Is very solid. Passes the kick test. Weekly driver. Function before looks. Have to have twin tips.
    Cannot recall why i changed out from later year oem 3 piece hanger assy to custom parts.

Name:  41+vn1XufOL._AC_SX425_PIbundle-50,TopRight,0,0_SH20_.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  13.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
    Drivers side bumper " bracket " came right out, but how in the hell do you get the bolt off of the passenger side brkt ?? I cannot get the wrench to fit and have any room to pull and no way can I get a socket wrench connected to the socket?? Drivers side bolt came off the outside, but the pass side comes off the to the inside of the frame??
    Do I need to remove the fuel tank???
    Got a pic of your conundrum?
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    Got a pic of your conundrum?
    I will try and get one tomorrow....
    Thanks gr79..
    The bolt holding the bumper mount on the Pass side, comes from the inside of the frame, putting the gas tank in the way of getting to the bolt head
    Drivers side was easy as the bolt head was on the outside of the frame...

Then again, my fuel gauge is the ONLY gauge ( or light ) not working so I might wait and see if I have to drop the fuel tank again..
    Supposed to be less humid the next two days, if my old body holds out maybe I can get something done.....
    Last edited by Bentley; 09-02-2023 at 07:16 PM.