Close

Default Need 1982 Mustang GT Rear Defrost Swtich

Does anyone know the part number for the rear defrost switch for a 1982 Mustang GT? I picked this car up late last year and as I'm going through the process of putting it back together I thought the switch was broken, but it's just gone. Not there at all. My HVAC controls have a light on them below the switch, as opposed to the tip of the switch lighting up, I assume.
    I push my fingers into my eyes......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

FEP Supporter

NPD shows a 1980 "only" dealer installed Rear Window Defogger switch. Maybe that's what you have there? For 81-86 they list the switch with the lighted tip.
    '85 GT

Hard to say what has happened to the car over the years, but it still has all the smog stuff on it and the exhaust has ford part numbers on it. So it's seems pretty original.

Sweet Avatar BTW

Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

FEP Supporter

10-4. These cars are so old and it's so hard to know what's been messed with.

Your avatar ain't exactly chopped liver either! If you want to, PM me with your email address and I'll forward you a larger size of that image.
    Last edited by qikgts; 08-14-2023 at 07:02 PM.
    '85 GT

FEP Power Member

Looks like the 81-86 defroster switch is E1FZ-18C621-A. Several new ones on EBay.

80 had a dealer installed and a different factory switch.
    Last edited by KevinK; 08-15-2023 at 09:58 AM.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Yes, I've seen those and that is not what I have. That part has the switch tip that lights up. Mine has a tiny bulb under the switch.

Someone was kind enough to PM me and remind me to check my other cars. My other 82 GT and my 80 Cobra don't have rear defrost. However, my 79 coupe has the same HVAC controls as this 82 GT, so I can check the part number on that switch!

For reference, my 82 Capri RS has the E1FZ-18C621-A switch.

FEP Power Member

80 dealer installer defogger D8bz-18578-e
    80 with integral heater or ac D8bz-18578-c
    81-86 listed above
    Looks like Fairmont/Zephyr share the same parts per year.

79 is a different parts book.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Do you have the "diece"? Or is it the rear blower setup?
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Rear blower?

Quote Originally Posted by 79Coupe View Post
    Rear blower?
    Never mind hahahaha
    I was thinking about the Zephyrs and not about the Mustangs. My bad. Sorry about that
    I may have replaced my rear diece switch, i'll look and see if i can find the part #
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

I don't have part numbers but my 80 cobra came with the old style switch with the indicator lamp on the HVAC controller. Maybe it was 79 and 80 only not sure. The newer style has the indicator in the tip of the switch.

The actual HVAC controllers for these are also different as the 80 style incorporates a separate lamp with relay assembly that mounts in it. You cannot interchange the switches with the controllers as they will not swap properly etc.

Name:  IMG_2590.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  269.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_2591.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  257.2 KB

Hope that helps.

Yep looks like NPD sells the same switch as shown in my pic if that is the HVAC control you have.

Switch, Heated Back Window, On / Off, Original D8bz-18578-C
    #M-18578-4

Funny though it appears your 82 should have the newer style which is curious. Perhaps someone put in the older HVAC controller and realized the rear defrost switch would not swap...and that is why no switch ? Just guessing

The HVAC controls you have pictured is what I have in the 82 GT. However, the plug I have for the switch is 4 pins, not three. So likely someone swapped the HVAC controls?

Yes that makes sense. The newer style switch is much larger and will not mount in the old controller because it hits the molding where the extra indicator lamp goes.

If you want to convert you will need the old style switch, relay, and wiring with the indicator lamp. Or I suppose you could switch back to a later model HVAC controller that is proper for 82 as well. The newer style is cleaner since you don't have the extra relay and lamp essentially.