Close

Default New Motorcraft Start Solenoid Stuck in "Start"

Finally got my Capri out to a car show thurs night. Running great. Get to street show was going to be on early, so just parked in a spot head in. Woman helping with show tells me to go park around the corner with other cars, cops will clear the streets, and then all the cars come in at once.

Anyway, go to start her and does not start, but turn ign off and starter just cranking (won't stop). Luckily, I had a cheapo HF tools set with me and got neg batt terminal off before any other damage was done. But what is odd, is why did it not try to fire at least.

So, finally got to use my AAA, been paying for all these years, UGH!!!

So this was a "new" Motorcraft starter solenoid. Maybe put on 5 years ago, but only 30ish starts since then.
    I "ohmed" it out and even off the car, main contacts were connected, so it was still stuck on , even after I removed it.
    I drilled out rivets and took it apart. Could not find anything really wrong with it. Components inside seem of pretty
    good quality. The main contact plate was not connected after I removed coil. It seems to press in and out fine, like it
    would still work.

Got new Motorcraft start solenoid yesterday. Installed and tapped starter. Engages for a split second like it should.
    Made sure plyers were right next to neg batt terminal, and fired her up. Started and runs normal, far as I can tell.
    Still wondering why it didn't fire down by car show, just due to solenoid being stuck on. Hoping I don't have a secondary issue after car heat soaks. Will go for long ride and shut it off at home, see what happens.

Pics of inside of solenoid, for S&G's

Last edited by OX1; 08-06-2023 at 06:30 AM.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Welcome to the One World order of parts Quality..

FEP Supporter

That's a crap sammy... It least it was easily handled.
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
    Welcome to the One World order of parts Quality..
    Yes, not new to it. My fear is that everything looked good inside, and appeared it would still work if I got it back together. I suspect mechanically, that "detent" plate that connects main terminal hung up "somehow" and I freed it just taking back of solenoid off. So what is to say it can't happen again with another new one, someday, just by chance (if the tolerances somehow let it stick internally, once in a while).

Anyway, main reason I posted up is for info to others and see if anyone else has had an issue with newer MC solenoids.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )