Close

Default Car won't start, goes dead on ignition.

Swap is done...cranked almost flawless the past 3 days or so. Today I put on exhaust, start it up...and let it run...then the exhaust falls off Put the exhaust back on so I can drive to the part store...turn the key...CLUNK

I'm thinking dead battery right? Wrong. Solenoid? Wrong. I didn't touch a thing and now the whole power system inside the car is apparently dead. Some of the time the fuel pump comes on and as soon as I put it into the run position(I think it is, the forward most position), it all goes dead.

I've got 12v on the battery, 12v to the engine bay(that I can figure I need), and I have 12v in the fuse box(for the most part), but the head lights won't come on and the horn don't sound.

Could this be the ignition switch, or something else.

Car is an 86 2.3 Turbo EFI conversion using a 88 Turbocoupe wiring harness and Turbocoupe relay module
    No matter where you go, there you are

Mike Croke

Sounds like an arc'ed connection somewhere. You can get voltage, but anything that pulls current doesn't work? Make sure the connections to the battery are clean and snug as well as the connections at the solenoid. Another possibility would be a ground from the negative battery to the frame/engine.

As mike said check the ground and also make sure you did not knock something loose when the exhaust fell off.

I believe the battery ground was loose, I took it off, reset it, and tightened it. Car started up.

Now I have a running problem Think the TFI died.

FEP Super Member

Man your getting so darn close..

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

I'm there...just stuff needs to stop breaking, leaking, or malfucntioning

FEP Power Member

Do you still have a running problem? When my TFI module died the car would crank but not start. Same symptoms as if the coil wire was dissconnected.
    1979 Mustang pace car
    1986 LX coupe

Quote Originally Posted by RACECAP97
    Do you still have a running problem? When my TFI module died the car would crank but not start. Same symptoms as if the coil wire was dissconnected.
    On the Carb engine it did that...sometimes.

What happened today was the car would start...and then I could only rev it to 3k...then when I let off...it'd die.

After it sat for awhile, it started up...rev'ed fine and went back to idle....just like the POS did on the Carb engine when it would cool down.

Last night I pulled my remote TFI thinige off the old engine, so I'm gonna put it on the new engine...excpet the bolts are rusted...so I may have to swap distrubtors

A little update.

I removed everything that was connected to the solenoid except the battery and the starter.

It'll turn it over just fine.

Since this is an EFI conversion...am I missing something that needs to be wired in? Or could I be pulling a massive amount of current somewhere(I have a fan relay setup wired directly to the battery).

Must...get...running before Fun Ford Weekend this weekend...