Close

Default Brake Upgrade Question

I've tried to look through the stickie concerning brake upgrades but there is so much information posted there I was unable to find a clear, concise answer to my question.

I have a 1986 Notch that came with the 2.3. I have the Wilwood 140-11018 disk brake kit for 1987 - 1993 mustangs. What parts do I need to install the brake kit on the car? Just the spindles/coilovers that will fit a 5.0 1987 - 1993 mustang? Obviously the brake kit comes with the calipers, rotors, bearings, etc., but I was wondering if the spindles/coilovers were the only things that I need to complete the conversion. Will the '87 spindles bolt right up (disregarding the modifications to make the brake kit fit)?

FEP Supporter

Welcome to the site. Hope you hang around for awhile.
    You're correct. That kit seems to need Aero style V8 spindles and a matching strut. Also be prepared for the wheels to move outboard like a 1/4 inch or so.
    Use a quality CC plate too, like one from Maximum Motorsports, especially if doing coil overs.
    Generally speaking, check the clearance between the hood and "strut stud" before slamming the hood. No need for that nonsense... lol
    '85 GT

Thanks for the quick reply! No worries on slamming the hood - the car is completely stripped to just the unibody at this time. It will be a while before the hood even comes close to the car again!

FEP Supporter

Post up some pics when you can! Love to see em!
    '85 GT

Will do - first a little background on the project. I bought the car in 2011 - anticipating I was going to buy parts for it so when I retired I have a project waiting to keep me busy. I blew the car apart and had it media blasted to get it ready. I retired early a couple of years ago (because working sucks), moved to Texas, built a house and a shop. I finally started working on the car a month ago.
    Step 1 - Install AJE K-member. That went well - no issues at all. It fit like a glove.
    Step 2 - Install AJE lower control arms. They went in but they had gaps on the sides where the bolts go through. I called AJE - was told don't worry about it.
    Step 3 - Install AJE 2" drop spindles. They fit, had to use some washers as shims on the Lakewood 70/30 strut I was using.
    Step 4 - Install the Wilwood brake kit. This is where it all came to a screeching halt. The AJE control arms rubbed on the rotors. Wilwood said they haven't
    heard of any issues. AJE said I needed to grind the control arms to provide clearance with the rotor because Wilwood made a change to their design a
    few years back. I didn't think I should have to do this since the website I ordered from said all the parts are designed to work together but I was
    between a rock and a hard place so I started grinding one of the arms. I think I ruined the control arm so I gave up.
    Step 5 - I was going to put a 557 stroker in the car. I bought a stroker kit from Coast High Performance, I have a 460 block, I was going to get some
    Kaase P-51 heads for it. I tried to test fit the AJE BBF motor mounts to the AJE K-member. Guess what - they didn't fit. Another call to AJE - same
    guy I talked to before told me I need to grind the mounting sleeves on the K-member until I can get the motor mounts to fit.
    Step 6 - Throw the AJE crap in the corner and regroup.

I want to use the Wilwood brake kit - it's a quality piece. That's why I started this thread - to see if I can get there from here. I'm still going to build the car but AJE won't be a part of it. I have a 1985 302 block, the 460/557 stroker kit, a C6 transmission plus a 8.8 rear end waiting to be rebuilt, subframe connectors, a new wiring harness, etc. I have most of the parts, I just have to change my plan.

Name:  IMG_2649.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  135.8 KBName:  IMG_2650.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  203.9 KB

I smoothed the engine bay a little.

Name:  IMG_3538.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  136.3 KB

The original K-member installed after the AJE fiasco.

Right now I'm mocking everything up, I'll blow it apart again when I ready to do body work and paint. I made a rotisserie to put the car on when I'm ready for the body work.

FEP Supporter

Thanks for sharing! Nice project for sure!

Are you looking to build a street strip deal or more of cruiser?

It sucks, but we all know it, bolt on's don't bolt on...
    '85 GT

Sorry about the rant, I needed to let off a little steam.

More of a cruiser, go to car shows type car. I've never raced, for me I think the pressure of trying to not break the car on every run would take away some of the enjoyment.

Anyway, since I know I'm going to be putting a big motor in the car, the smart thing to do would be to get the '87 - '93 spindles and get the Wilwood brake kit installed.

Name:  IMG_3579.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  141.8 KB

I put in a manual steering rack to free up some room in the engine bay. I also have a manual brake conversion kit that will be installed as soon as I get the brakes sorted out. I wanted to free up as much real estate as possible so I could shoehorn the 10lb big block into the 5lb engine bay.

Do you want to stay with 4 lug wheels? If not why not upgrade your spindles to 94/95 and then your brake options get much better..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Gutm View Post
    Sorry about the rant, I needed to let off a little steam.

More of a cruiser, go to car shows type car. I've never raced, for me I think the pressure of trying to not break the car on every run would take away some of the enjoyment.

Anyway, since I know I'm going to be putting a big motor in the car, the smart thing to do would be to get the '87 - '93 spindles and get the Wilwood brake kit installed.
    Hey, no worries here! Steam has to go somewhere. BTW, you didn't seem all overheated to me! lol

You've got a nice start to your project. Nothing wrong with a stock K. It's a lil heavy but who cares when you're not trying to wring out every last tenth. Stock K is plenty sturdy too. Manual steering does free up a lot of room. One thing I've been seeing in some places on the net are electric PS conversions, both on just the column and electric pumps driving hydraulic systems. They get pretty fancy and racers seem to like it too. Just something to talk about is all...
    '85 GT

Name:  IMG_3591.jpeg
Views: 121
Size:  49.1 KB

This is the kit I have - I just need to find a set of 1987 - 1994 spindles.

I got my 94-95 spindles off of ebay
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

'87 to '93 spindles are different from '94-'95 and '96-'04 spindles are differernt from the 94/95 spindles. What spindles are required with the Wilwood kit?

On a 96 with stock K member ( best idea yet using it) Pretty sure you will need 94-95 spiindles.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
    On a 96 with stock K member ( best idea yet using it) Pretty sure you will need 94-95 spiindles.....
    If the Wilwod spindles require the sn95 spiondles, yes 94/95. But I beleive that Wilwood kit requies the 87-93 V8 spindles - not the I4 spindles or later sn spindles.

Quote Originally Posted by qtrracer View Post
    If the Wilwod spindles require the sn95 spiondles, yes 94/95. But I beleive that Wilwood kit requies the 87-93 V8 spindles - not the I4 spindles or later sn spindles.
    I am not talking about the wilwood kit... using the 94-95 spindles gets you upgraded to a modern hub arrangement, 5 lug which gives you more choices of wheels, and many choices of rotors and calipers of YOUR choice.....