Close

Default Tall Tires for Ground Clearance

Have been kicking around the idea of using one of my Fairmonts as a fun driver/beater that would be dirt road capable. Some of the forest roads around here have deep potholes, ruts, and random rocks sticking up. With that, the stock tire size of 185/75-14 (24.9" tall) only makes for about 5" of stock ground clearance. Most people are trying to get the widest tires possible, but I'm wondering what the tallest tires that will fit are.

Car is currently 4-lug, but I have stuff to 5-lug swap. I already have 15" and 16" wheels and plan on using one of those sizes to maximize tire choices. I see that 205/75-15 is 27.1" tall, and 205/70-16 is 27.3" tall. Slightly shorter would be 205/65-16 at 26.5" tall. There's also a 215/70-16 that's 27.9" tall, but I'm guessing going that wide & tall would not work.

Already planning on rolling fender lips, but I don't want to cut anything if possible. Slight preference to keep it square and not have different sizes front & rear, but I'll seriously consider taller in back for even more clearance. Not looking to set up a Gambler car with big AT tires or anything like that. Just want some more ground clearance using the stock springs.

Did lots of FEP searching and Googling on this without any luck. Appreciate it if anyone can help!
    '78 Fairmont Box Top w/Straight 6/3-spd Manual Everything
    '81 Zephyr Wagon 4/4-spd
    '84 Mustang SVO 5.0 Swapped semi-junker (I didn't do it!)
    MAF, GT-40, BBK Shorties

I am using 16" wheels with 26" tall tires, and the car sits low because of the suspension. If you're looking for ground clearance, you may want to try taller springs as well to get the car up in the air?
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Good point on the springs. I could even use some small spacers on the stock springs. In the rear, adding suspension height shouldn't be too difficult. For the front, I suspect I can add only a little bit and still maintain correct front end geometry.

What size tires are you running? If you're running a 26" that's 235mm or wider, I suspect I could fit a taller one at 205mm or 215mm.

Not looking to get too crazy with this, so if I can get in the upper 26" range to 27", I'd be happy.
    '78 Fairmont Box Top w/Straight 6/3-spd Manual Everything
    '81 Zephyr Wagon 4/4-spd
    '84 Mustang SVO 5.0 Swapped semi-junker (I didn't do it!)
    MAF, GT-40, BBK Shorties

225/60r16
    Last edited by massacre; 11-14-2023 at 08:15 AM.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Years ago I found a Zephyr sport coupe that was used for a gumball rally or something. They did it on the cheap but man was it cool. They cut the front and rear fenders way up to fit some nasty mud terrains on it. It was rough but I daydreamt of what that would be like to have and use like you're talking about.

I have seen lifted fox mustangs, so I'm betting spring spacers would not be hard to find. Some camber plates and a bumpsteer kit and I bet you could bring the front end pretty close into alignment. Would be a cool project! Maybe a roof basket with some lights on top and possibly a push bar on the front. Go for that overland look.
    '79 Z7 w/sunroof, first car, 302, 5-speed, 8.8 Rear Disc
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage