Close

Thumbs up M81 #003P for 1986 Saleen

Hello FEP friends, I am interested in trading my 1980 M81 McLaren Mustang 2.3 turbo #003P 24K original miles for a 4-eye 1986 Saleen (pref Blue or Red) Mustang in very good condition. Would also consider 93 SVT Cobra (I know not a 4 eye which is why it’s second on the list!).

I've owned my M81 for 30 years (I believe I am the 3rd owner) and it is registered, street legal with a clean title in my name located in Pleasanton, CA. I have partial records back to 1991 including the Ford dealer sales contract when it was sold used to a prior owner. It has been a CA car all its life and there is no rust other than surface rust on factory untreated metal parts (diff, springs, etc.). I believe 003P to be the first street production prototype body with the 1-piece BBS/Mahle wheels and one of two (?) street cars that came with the McLaren installed in-cabin adjustable boost knob. The engine, trans and buck tag stamps all match the VIN which is documented and in the VIN range in the M81 registry managed by FoxChassis. The Marti Report shous it as a "FLEET" sale to the L.A. sales district.

It runs and drives with extensive work performed to almost all of the major mechanical systems to driver preservation status (not restored) using NOS or Motorcraft parts where available. The car is 100% complete and I have retained every original part replaced. The body retains original McLaren paint and hand painted graphics and is in need of repair in several places including cowl, front facia, and where the fiberglass meets the metal body and rear bumper. All M81 unique body pieces/trim are accounted for. Recaro Keiper seat fabric is intact but loose due to age.

Major work performed to Engine, Turbo, Brakes and Cooling systems:
    Turbo rebuilt by GPop Shop
    Head refurbished
    Brakes- Master, rotors, pads, lines, and shoes all replaced.
    Refurbished original gas tank, new hoses, fuel pump and soft lines
    Refurbished distributor
    Rebuilt original Motorcraft/Holley 5200
    AEM Wideband installed in the glovebox
    Aluminum Radiator (I have the original underhood McLaren heat extractor system but not installed) and new water pump
    Motor Mounts, vacuum lines and associated NOS delay valves etc.
    New BFG tires
    NOS BBS metal center caps and new valve stems
    Headliner
    Gen 3 Dash Pad
    Kenwood stereo, new speakers front/rear. Original Ford AM/FM included.
    New factory sized Motorcraft battery 05/23

You can find a long chronological history of the resurrection in my signature.

Lots of memorabilia and spare parts including 4 different posters (McLaren Indycar, Daytona, Sebring, Through the years), original magazines (Autoweek, SuperFord, Mustang Times), several books documenting the M81's history, a box of dealer postcards, original Racemark Steering Wheel, Ford tooling licensed cowl vent, and other items I am surely forgetting. Oh yeah, I also have a FW & Associates Motorsports Mustang go Kart body that is a match to the M81 body that will go with it and would look awesome to paint match!

PM if you have a Saleen to trade!
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 07-13-2023 at 05:11 PM.
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:
    1986 Capri GS 5.0- very missed but in goods hands
    1985 LTD SSP- quick little fox 5.0