Close

Default Would You Attempt This? T-5 Question

So, my speedo gear on the output shaft either slid out of the way, or is missing. I'm not sure which. Regardless, I need to take the tailshaft housing off the trans if I want to have a working speedometer. Do you think that's something I could do without removing the transmission itself from the car? I'd really like to save time any way I can, and removing and installing this transmission on my back has been a real pain because I have my engine moved back on the K-member. It makes it damn near impossible to line up because the engine doesn't lean back as far as far as it normally would before it contacts the firewall. Not to mention I'm usually doing it by myself. And yes, in hindsight, if I'd known I would need to pull my transmission back out 5,000 times, I may not have made that decision.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

that gear is fixed on the shaft with a roll pin in manual trans cars i believe.
    they slide on the shaft if not pinned and away from the driven gear on the cable end.
    automatics have a machined gear instead of the replaceable nylon types.
    one trans shop says they are familiar and can fix it with trans in car.
    guess the back half has to come off and whatever parts are connected to it.

Something like a garmin gps works in the meantime to read speed no trans connections needed.

attempt it? engine rebuilds yes, drum brakes, heavy repair, clutches, internal trans nope.
    Last edited by gr79; 07-07-2023 at 11:33 PM.

Speedo drive gear s held in place by a clip. Not uncommon for it to break.

Although you can remove the extension housing in the vehicle, you may have trouble with the shifter, and getting things to seal up properly.

Yeah, it's held in with this spring clip.

I saw a video on youtube where the new clip they got from LMR (where mine is from, I'm quite sure), was too small to hold the gear in place. I wonder if that's what went wrong with mine.

but yeah, I downloaded a GPS speedometer app on my phone to get me by for the car show next weekend.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 07-08-2023 at 11:03 AM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by PrecisionTrans View Post
    Speedo drive gear s held in place by a clip. Not uncommon for it to break.

Although you can remove the extension housing in the vehicle, you may have trouble with the shifter, and getting things to seal up properly.
    Yeah, i know there are things you need to line up exactly right... hmmmmm
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

There must be some youtube videos to help you with this repair??

Three options?
    Get the trans jack out and do the whole job, then hope for the best.
    Pull the trans and take it to a trans shop. Trans work is guaranteed.
    Take the whole car to the trans shop. All work is guaranteed.

Good time to change out the gear to a new black one.

Repairing on a bench looks like the safest fastest way.
    Trans shops that have done 5 teardowns know the shortcuts and pitfalls by heart.
    Bags of new gear clips and driveshaft flange bolts on their parts shelf.
    Nothing like when a spring flies out from somewhere. Where did and does it go?
    Breaking the case sealant, resealing case. RTV is tough to separate.
    Hylomar type sealant does not flake up or dry. Allows easy 'clean' removal, say like the shifter tower base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5CCzgTRnc4

FEP Supporter

Here's a description of removing the tail shaft housing in the vehicle.

This is from Vintage Mustang Forum member- cobra94svt

You can pull the tail shaft housing off with the trans in the car. You can remove the shifter, drive out the roll pin holding the shifter block to the shift rail. Drain the fluid. Once you get the trans cross member off, let trans point down a little and remove the 15mm bolts. Then you should be able to pry the housing back till it hits the shift block, then using a rubber mallet hit it on the trans mount as the housing comes back it brings the shifter block off of the rail.

This is the post that's from and there's a good vid of how to swap the speedo gear.

https://www.vintage-mustang.com/thre...in-car.924745/
    '85 GT

Yeah, I do know the steps of what to do. Whether I can execute them is another matter. In my recent past, I've managed to lose the detent ball and spring, AND mess up those thingies that slide on the shift shaft on the underside of the top cover so badly, I couldn't figure out how to get them back right again (that should be one of those impossible puzzles in doctors' waiting rooms). The fact that the trans is in the car and working is kind of a miracle. And top that with the fact that I MAY or MAY NOT be able to line up the input shaft properly into the clutch to be able to reinstall it. My T-5 and I have an ugly past.

I'm plenty confident about going into it. I just really don't want to because of what can go wrong. It's crazy to me you're perfectly happy rebuilding an engine, GR. The whole time I was putting together my top end, I was scared sh**less I was doing something wrong. Cam timing and all that.... never again!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Senior Member

I had this happen with an SVO I owned back in the day. At the time I was working at a Ford Dealership. Trans tech says you can do it in the car. I tried it that way with a little bit of his assistance, and guess what, maybe worked for a minute. Ended up pulling the trans and doing it "right" and no problems.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

Default anxiety for real

Doing the same job plan multiple times adds to confidence, discipline, focus, patience and relieves most fears.
    Order of assembly, leeway, fork in the road config decisions, detection and nondestructive undoing of mistakes.
    Check and recheck, redo until right. Comes a point were progress without doubts signals a go f it done move on.

Defiantly normal as to having extra anxiety. None exists in intentionally hurried and possible hack jobs.
    Panic is next level scary like a fire because something has already happened.

Totally felt that way doing valve stem seals and a cyl head rear freeze plug with engine in car.
    Is harder to do things with engine, trans in car. Bends, contortions, access, awkward reaching and leverage.
    Doubts will always be there after investing time and labor while not having overthinking mess anything else up.
    For sure, the first start drive after major work is all hands on deck general quarters.

Been considering changing carb jets back to factory config. Have the new parts. Curious of what happens.
    However engine is running efficiently, uses no oil, good gauge readings, starts, power.
    Rarely got 25+ mpg until this June. Did nothing to the systems as if they self-adjusted to desired marks.

When driving, anything can go wrong have to live with it like everyone else does every day.
    Last edited by gr79; 07-10-2023 at 03:29 PM. Reason: out with repeating detailed stories