Close

Default Vacuum purge valve operation

After taking my car out for a drive the garage reeks of gasoline. I've replaced the fuel tank vapor valve and grommet on top of the fuel tank as well as the filler neck grommet on the side of the tank. I've also verified the the line going to the charcoal cannister from the vapor valve is not obstructed. The charcoal granules inside the cannister also move freely. My car has what the 1984 Emissions Diagnosis/Engine Electronics manual refers to as the "49 States and Canada - Canister Venting System;" meaning I only have a vacuum purge valve and NOT the solenoid purge system referenced everywhere else. Is someone here able to explain how the vacuum purge valve works? Is it a part that can wear out or deteriorate and need replacement? Although I haven't run a vacuum test, the line running to and lines running from the vacuum purge valve appear to be in good condition. My car is a 1984 Thunderbird 5.0L with CFI. Appreciate any help I could get to resolve this issue.

Dan

I have an 84 CFI and its canister looks like a 10 day old roadkill possum. No gas smells whatsoever. I would suspect an actual gas leak. I have never liked the gas lines on the intake. The connections always seemed weak to me. You also have the pump under your seat. Lots of spots for a pinhole leak to develop. And the whole return system. Double the chances.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

The simple answer is no, beer does not contain sugar. This is surprising to many people because beer has a reputation as a beverage that will pack on the pounds. does beer have sugar

I have an 84 LX that's a California car and mine has an electric solenoid in front of the CFI. When I first got the car I replaced the charcoal cannister and the purge valve just because they were old. Come to think of it, my car has always smelled kind of gassy when standing behind the exhaust. Now you've got me thinking I should check out my purge system to make sure its functioning.