Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help with front driver's side 86 brake line....

So....my driver's side rubber brake hose blew next to the fitting on the caliper, no prob, got the parts. But in removing the old one I broke off the end of the metal brake line that attached to it. I am looking for JUST the brake line that goes from the rubber line by the caliper up the side of the engine bay to the aluminum box under the master cylinder....

Don't need or want to but an entire kit. Does anyone make a pre-bent piece for this, or will I have to bend one myself? Also....of I have to bend one...where to start? Never done anything like that before. Can I reuse them the original fittings? What diameter, type of metal line should I buy?

Searched around a bit....didn't see anyone selling just that single hard line. Classic Tube has a 4 piece front brake line kit, but I didn't see the piece you're looking for individually anywhere.

The "aluminum box under the master cylinder" is your proportioning valve, and it's actually made of brass.

If you want to fab your own line, use 3/16" nicopp brake line. You'll need a tubing bender and a flaring tool. I don't know about reusing the fittings.... I'll let someone else weigh in on that.

Imo, if you've never made brake lines before, you may be better off just biting the bullet and buying the front only kit. By the time you buy the material and tools and maybe fittings, you're gonna be halfway there, money-wise. More if you get the higher quality flaring tool I'd recommend. And you still got to spend the time learning how to bend and flare the line. Creating a hard line with multiple bends and correctly doing a couple of double flares is something that could be a trial and error learning experience.

Don't let me talk you out of it if you want to try it though. There's plenty of videos out there to guide you.

Fyi, here's the kit I was referring to:
    https://www.npdlink.com/product/brak...0095?year=1985
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Posting the year, model, and engine would be helpful. I may have a spare hard line, but there were some differences through the years, so know what exactly you are working on is always helpful.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Per the thread title, it's an '86. And I know from his previous posts that he has a 5.0 motor. Not sure on the actual model though.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Guys , thank you for the help

Yeah, it's my 5.0 5 speed. My brother in law fully restored a 67 coupe, and knows how to do this, so I think he will end up coming over and helping me out. Never have bent anything like that.

Love this car. Had used sem paint and refinished the entire interior, just need to recover the seats and the interior will be done. Put a wood rimmed steering wheel in it, and it just looks awesome. I'm a high school history teacher, so I have time this summer to do what I want to it. On Vaca at table rock with the family for 12 days, so it's gotta sit jacked up in my garage for a couple weeks. Hope you all know guys like me appreciate your input, as dumb as my questions might be sometimes.

To add...as I am on an extreme budget, I pulled out the original dash pad, used a Dremel and sanding wheel to cut out the cracks and holes, used a scrap piece of window screen on the underside to back the holes, and then used bondo and jb weld to fill it all. Sanded it, primed it, and used the sem red portello paint, and it looks awesome. Was proud of that, as Id never done why thing like that before. In a couple years I will buy a new pad for it, but hated the cracks and holes. I would post pics, but so far I don't think I can on here.

Off the shelf pre cut brake line with fittings can be bent neatly if something is used as a mandrel.
    Of course a small bender is a good investment. Make sure new line is not too short better a little long.
    Got mine (Poly Armour, domestic fitting type) from AZ.
    Regular steel or ss is harder to work with. flairing bulk line has to be done with precision.
    No cheaping out or cutting corners, time, on these parts are SAFETY items bigtime.

Sorry for some reason, I missed the 86 in the title. I believe I should have the hard brake line you are in need of. Unfortunately I had a heart procedure on Friday and I am limited on what I can do for the next several days as I recover. Once I am able, I can check my stash of Fox parts and hopefully find the brake line you need. It will be mid week or this weekend at the earliest right now. I can't afford to make the wife mad playing with my cars right now . . .
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Wraith, I appreciate that, and don't sweat me at all man. I've seen several people go through open heart bypass, so anything heart related just get to feeling better. I am home in 12 days, so you have time man. Really appreciate it, and I am happy to pay you, just pm me info bud.

Guys, I am also a big-time gun collector, on a ton of sites under the same name. This place has been extremely helpful and friendly. Moreso than a lot of gun sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruskiegunlover View Post
    Wraith, I appreciate that, and don't sweat me at all man. I've seen several people go through open heart bypass, so anything heart related just get to feeling better. I am home in 12 days, so you have time man. Really appreciate it, and I am happy to pay you, just pm me info bud.

Guys, I am also a big-time gun collector, on a ton of sites under the same name. This place has been extremely helpful and friendly. Moreso than a lot of gun sites.
    Thankfully mine was not open heart, but an Ablation to fix Aflutter, so I should be in pretty good shape in a week or so. Feel pretty good right now, but can't lift anything over 10lbs so that limits garage time and I can't afford to anger my better half!

I should be able to take a look around the 4th with my days off. If you don't hear anything from me, don't hesitate to send me a PM to remind me.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

If your line broke, I wonder what condition your other lines are in? You might check them and a front line kit might be a good option if they are bad...
    I tried to buy some lines today from a kit and SStubes would NOT sell me only the two lines I needed..
    I already have new SS lines on my car, but upgraded to a different brake booster and needed the curly q lines from the MC to the distribution valve instead of the 90 degree angle ones I got with my kit....
    If Wraiths doesnt' work out I would think my line I took off my 83 would be the one you need? Anyone know if the dist valve changed from 83 to 86?
    I will go out to my take off pile and look for it....
    Not sure on the distribution valve, but 87 up the MC fittings are Metric....
    Last edited by Bentley; 06-26-2023 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
    I tried to buy some lines today from a kit and SStubes would NOT sell me only the two lines I needed..
    I already have new SS lines on my car, but upgraded to a different brake booster and needed the curly q lines from the MC to the distribution valve instead of the 90 degree angle ones I got with my kit....
    I've seen those MC-to-Prop Valve curly lines for sale separately somewhere before. I'll see if I can find them again.

I went ahead and replaced my passenger side too. Only the driver side steel line broke.

The proportioning valve is essentially the same from 79-86. There are some slight differences internally due to different engine/transmission and body style combos, but still all are very similar and the fittings are the same.

If you are doing Master Cylinder swaps, then Maximum Motorsports has several options for the MC to Prop valve lines.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    I've seen those MC-to-Prop Valve curly lines for sale separately somewhere before. I'll see if I can find them again.
    It was Maximum Motorsports that had those curly brake lines, but it looks like they are all for upgraded MC applications, not stock MC.

It was Maximum Motorsports that had those curly brake lines, but it looks like they are all for upgraded MC applications, not stock MC.
    Yes I saw those at MM also... I found a used set on Ebay for $110... LOL... good luck with that...
    I purchased a coil of the new tubing (NiCo ? ) and I am going to try to bend my own... I have a hand bender that worked pretty well to " Adjust " some of the stainless lines I have installed.. I have a local place that can do bubble flairs in the ends.....
    I might even try to build new ones for my rear axle lines IF i have to upgrade to the 87 up intermediate line for dual exhausts.....

ruskigunlover... Is this what your looking for??
    Its soaking in my solvent tank right now... I will let it soak overnight and clean it up some tomorrow if this will work....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Let me get home Tuesday and check, because I believe it has one other bend. That almost looks like the front passenger side....

So if I end up needing to fab one, I would need 3/16 line?

Yes. And nicopp if you want the easy stuff to deal with.

X2 on the nicopp
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

If my old one looks correct, let me know.. PM me your address and I will mail it to you.....

Yes. And nicopp if you want the easy stuff to deal with.
    Larry are your lines the curly cue? or the sharp left turn ones??
    On another matter how does $80 sound??

Larry are your lines the curly cue? or the sharp left turn ones??
    Curly cue.

On another matter how does $80 sound??
    Pm sent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast