Close

Thread: Brake problems

Default Brake problems

Finally took my car into the race shop to have my new brake stuff put on. To start with they couldn't get the caliper bolt loose and had to cut them. The barake line hole on the stck caliper is a different diameter than the newer one. Then the spindles that I got from a reputable junkyad totally didn't match. The strut holes didn't line up and the spindles are a half inch narrower. Added to that the driver side has bad scoremarks all over it, so bad that they cant even slide the bearing over them. So 7 hours and $700 later my car is still on the rack and they are going to have to scavenge the spindles off a burned out 92 they have. Needless to say the mechanics were not real happy, nor was I but I at least had a friend that leant me his Caddy so I could come home and get to work in the morning.

Thanks for reading and letting me vent. I can also answer a few questions about doing the larger rotor conversion.
    Black 86 GT W/T-Tops, 306, full flows, Pony's new Ram clutch, HDT-5 & Aluminum Driveshaft.

Pyro85GT

where did you get the larger rotors from and how much did they run you? im going to need bigger brakes for the new engine as the stock ones are barely enough for the stock engine. i need some newer spindles also so i can finally install my strange front struts.

The mechanic at the race shop that works on my car was converting to five lug and sold me his rotors and calipers with brake shoes and bearings for $100. I then found some used spindles from a 87-93 gen car from Action Auto in Temple for $50, they would probably have everything you need or post up on one of the Mustang sites. The things to watch out for are the brake lines or more specifically the fittings, because they are different sizes, and then the ball joints. They are $100 a piece and will definitely kill the buzz if your not ready for it. Also make sure the strut are compatible to 87 -93 and not 79 - 86, there is a big difference. Other than that it all bolts right up and I can even begin to describe how much better my car stops.
    Black 86 GT W/T-Tops, 306, full flows, Pony's new Ram clutch, HDT-5 & Aluminum Driveshaft.

as you've probably figured out, it sounds like the salvage yard gave you the wrong spindles, likely from a 79-86, that's why the strut holes won't line up and the spindle is a smaller size
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

Where the strut mounts to the spindle, '79-'86 is THICKER than '87-93 eight-cylinder ('87-'93 four-cylinder is same size as '79-'86).
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

That's right, thats why if anybody does the conversion they will need to update the struts as well.

A lot of replacement struts nowadays fit all '79-'93 models. The holes in the mounts are shaped to fit both spindles and spacers are supplied to fit to '87-'93 eight-cylinder spindles.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Yeah the shop said there were none in the boxes but spacers are usually included. I wasn't there when the new ones were put in but I suspect that spacers are in there.

Just use washers. Same thing basically.

What are you trying to do? Upgrade to 11" spec brakes? You spend $700 so far on this and your car still isn't done?? No offense but that is way too much money to spend to upgrade to crappy 87+ spec brakes
    Mike
    -'88 Mustang LX 5.0L

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
    Just use washers. Same thing basically.

What are you trying to do? Upgrade to 11" spec brakes? You spend $700 so far on this and your car still isn't done?? No offense but that is way too much money to spend to upgrade to crappy 87+ spec brakes
    Jeez, my brother and I went to a couple of yards, picked up a hub assembly from a 94-96 v6 stang, for $75 a side, and the brake booster/master cylinder for $100, 2 rear 5 lug aerostar 5 lug axle shafts at $25 each, and the drums at $20 each or so. A couple of odds and ends more, and he has a much better 5 lug sn95 brakes. He even got a mint set of new bullet wheels with tires for $500.

Just throwing out other options, but it may be too late for that already.
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

I spent $550 for Cobra 13" front disks and SVO 11.35" rear disks
    Mike
    -'88 Mustang LX 5.0L

FEP User

I think that is a pretty good price
    Last edited by CapriCat; 05-28-2012 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Replied to wrong thread