Close

Post Rear Engine Coolant Leak 5.0 CFI

I have a 1984 Ford Thunderbird with a 5.0 CFI and auto trans... I've noticed when the engine gets up to operating temperature, a coolant leak develops at the right rear of the engine. Looking under the car, coolant begins to leak off between the the bell housing and the engine block. When I turn off the engine, I can hear a "sizzling" sound at the top part of the engine on the right rear side below the value cover. I used a borescope down near the right rear cylinder head, but couldn't find any leaks.

For this era of the the 5.0 engine, what would be some of the causes of the coolant leak? Hoping there is a coolant pipe or hose located in the right rear of the engine, but I'm thinking it might be something more serious since I was unable to find the leak with a borescope. Thanks...

There should be a freeze plug on the back of the head. Can you get a look at it? It may be seeping from that.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

When you say right side...is that the passenger side? It could be a freeze plug, head gasket, intake gasket. Is it still in original stock configuration?
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Yes, it's leaking on the passenger side of the engine. Engine is running good, so I'm thinking it's a freeze plug. Car has been in the family since new. All stock with 105k miles on the engine that has never been taken apart. Now I'm thinking cylinder head will need to be removed to make the repair. I'll see if I can find the leak again...

Isnt the coolant passage along the rear of the intake manifold, at the back of the head?

You have everything over there. Heater core, egr, all of it. Could be as simple as a hose leaking.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

FEP Power Member

I believe the air pump line also connects at the rear of the head. It may hide the freeze plug. The rubber expandable plugs are good for this.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles