Close

Default So while we are on the dash lights........

So as I am working towards a start up for my new engine, I got to the point the other day that I could hook up the battery and see what electrical items worked on the car...... No power has been to this car for around 25 years....
    Kind of like baby steps here, so I was a bit excited......
    All of the lights, turn signals and even the Back Up lights worked.. I had to modify my BU light harness from the original SROD to fit my TKX so at least I did something right........
    The original circuit board looked to be in great condition, so I left it alone
    BUT, NONE of the dash lights came on... I installed all new stock bulbs ( not LED"S) before reinstalling the dash....
    The lights for the heater controls came on and went dim to bright with the headlight switch, so I want to think my headlight switch is OK.
    The courtesy lights came on and off with door opened or closed,,, Even the light in the cigarette ashtray came on....
    According to my wire schematic the ashtray/Heater lights work from the same fuse that the dash lights work from so I haven't pulled that fuse to check it, no reason to....

One light on the dash worked... The top light on the 4 lite warning lights " seat belts" ( on the left side of the dash) when I turned the key to run... So some power is getting to the dash.. This is one of the lights I replaced, so they must be correct.....

I did smear some silicone grease on the two plugs AND on the circuit board where they plug into and I am wondering if I put too much on there,,, My plan is to remove the dash clean off the silicone grease and try it again?
    Any thoughts from anyone on here????? Thanks for any help here...
    Last edited by Bentley; 05-29-2023 at 07:30 PM.

Took it back apart and I have power to the connector and I checked ground continuity and all was good....
    Does anyone have some experience with the printed circuit boards on these?? AT this point I want to think mine is bad but don't know....
    Mine looks like its in good shape..
    Thanks

I have played with a few. I have bench tested the circuit board for power continuity just like you did for ground. I have in the past found breaks in the circuit board ribbon and in a pinch have run jumper wires to bypass a break. I believe some of the circuit boards are being reproduced, but I haven't looked one up in awhile. Depending on what year model, etc. you are working on, I might have a spare too. Here is what is reproduced https://www.npdlink.com/1979-1993-mu...t-lens-cluster

I know the sockets for the light bulbs can also be very finicky due to the small metal tabs that make contact. I have swapped out many of those to get lights to function properly. Even when they look just fine and make contact, there can be issues in the socket where the bulb sits that causes them not to work. I believe those are also reproduced now too, here is one option. https://www.cjponyparts.com/instrume...RoCYrEQAvD_BwE

Hope that helps!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Yes, thanks wraithracing......
    looks like the dash lights were working I just could not tell in the daytime after R&R ing it a few times.... Do I feel dumb
    I plugged in the dash and used a test light on the printed circuit and all was good....
    My mistake... Lots of " gosh darnits" and cut up hands taking this in and out when it was probably unnecessary....