Close

Default Air Conditioning Questions

Hey all.

So, I've known the AC in my 86' needed to be re-charged for some time now. The weather is finally starting to get nice and warm, and this would be nice to have.

My questions:

It looks like the old style "R12" connector is still present (screw type, not quick release), despite having some paperwork that the previous owner performed an "R134a Conversion".

If you were me - Would you safely assume it's OK to bring it into a shop to have the AC professionally charged up? Are there any "gotcha's" to look out for or mention? Is it even possible to re-charge these old gals with the R12 type still, or am I going to need to look at some kind of big kit to replace components?

I'm not a huge fan of the DIY AC kits you can buy at the parts store, but if push comes to shove and a shop won't touch it - Would this do the trick in a pinch, granted I buy some adapters from Amazon?

Cheers in advance!
    1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

When I resurrected my LTS, I got the AC working again. I replaced everything except the evaporator and the compressor. All the rest was new, including the hoses. I converted the system to R134a when I got it all back together.

One of the new hoses still had the R12 fitting on it, so I installed a "proper" R134a fitting for the quick disconnect.

The shop *should* be able to connect hoses to it, even if it doesn't have the quick-disconnect on it.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Are you absolutely SURE it was converted to r134?
    What does your tag underhood say.
    My tbird has those quick connectors on it but it was not converted to r134, but an r12 substitute called fridg12 by some shop in its life. Ofcourse i figured that out after i shot a can of r134 into it.
    They stuck a blank sticker over the a/c label instead of a conversion sticker, they stuck that back on the firewall out of site where i wasnt looking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1984GTTurboVert View Post
    Are you absolutely SURE it was converted to r134?
    What does your tag underhood say.
    My tbird has those quick connectors on it but it was not converted to r134, but an r12 substitute called fridg12 by some shop in its life. Ofcourse i figured that out after i shot a can of r134 into it.
    They stuck a blank sticker over the a/c label instead of a conversion sticker, they stuck that back on the firewall out of site where i wasnt looking for it.
    No - I'm not absolutely sure. Everything looks stock to my untrained eye.

Underhood tag is original and still says X-lbs of R12, I don't see any "conversion" stickers.

I have an invoice that says "R134 conv" from some years ago, but that's it.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

When I changed all the lines for my ac on my 85gt. I changed the pressure switch to match the 134 gas. The shop I brought it to put the quick release on my ac line.

I guess I'm looking for a more "explain like I'm 5" answer.

Am I understanding you guys correctly in needing to swap out parts to have it run with the current absence of R12? I have very rudimentary knowledge of how the AC system works and what needs to be done.

Or..

Can I just bring it to a shop and say 'charge it up', and they'll know what to do and be on my way?
    Last edited by ITdude87; 05-22-2023 at 06:18 PM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Look around underhood for a conversion to r134a sticker. They are supposed to cover the old one and put on something indicating it was converted.
    If you cant find anything underhood that says it was converted, assume it wasnt regardless of paperwork. Those quick connectors just screw on anybody couldve put those there for no reason at all.
    The shop you take it to will ask you, and if you dont know and there isnt anything to tell them they will have to empty and flush it regardless, so extra cost and extra work.
    If a shop did the conversion there should be something underhood to alert the next guy, if some guy did it in his garage there might be/might not.

Tldr, take it to the shop.
    Last edited by 1984GTTurboVert; 05-22-2023 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ITdude87 View Post
    I guess I'm looking for a more "explain like I'm 5" answer.

Am I understanding you guys correctly in needing to swap out parts to have it run with the current absence of R12? I have very rudimentary knowledge of how the AC system works and what needs to be done.

Or..

Can I just bring it to a shop and say 'charge it up', and they'll know what to do and be on my way?
    I mean, if you're unsure about how it all works, and don't want to mess with it, take it to a shop. It may cost you more if they have to investigate on whether it's been converted or not.

I've been accumulating tools to keep all of the AC systems working in our cars, so it wasn't much of a stretch for me.

I didn't replace stuff on my AC system because of the conversion. I replaced it because the car had been sitting for who knows how long with the AC hoses cut.
    The compressor is original, and I just flushed it out before putting things all back together. The only thing I added for the conversion was the adapter fittings for my new hoses/gauges for R134a. The condensers are more efficient these days and the old one was dead anyway, so again, nothing special to do the conversion.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Thanks fellas.

I was reading your comments as those things needing to be replaced (hoses, condenser, lines, pressure switch....etc) for it to work with R134A, not for other unrelated reasons.

If it's just a matter of bringing it in to a buddies shop and doing a purge and fill, I think I'm golden from what I can ascertain. Not worried about cost, I just want it done properly.

I've never had to deal with a car this old that came with obsolete refrigerant, so this is a little outside of my wheelhouse as to what I need to be aware of and expect.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

The pressure switch can be adjusted IF it's needed, but I didn't touch mine.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

One can still find R12...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

FEP Power Member

Four seasons makes an R134 pressure switch.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Brought the GT into my buddies shop earlier today.

AC system was purged of whatever was left in there (not much of anything) and charged up fresh with R134 with the proper equipment without any issues. Apparently there was already an R12—>R134 fitting installed despite the lack of any labels or stickers mentioned in this thread. Oh well. No big deal. I wasn’t going to attempt this myself anyways.

She’s nice and chilly and working as expected.

The ride home was super comfortable with the AC working in combination with the ceramic/heat rejecting tint I had installed on the windows earlier this year.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

FEP Power Member

Good to hear your refill went well, as mine did not. After a week in the shop for a recharge they found the climate control switch to be at fault. Was way over charged and will never go back there.
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

Quote Originally Posted by ZEN50 View Post
    Good to hear your refill went well, as mine did not. After a week in the shop for a recharge they found the climate control switch to be at fault. Was way over charged and will never go back there.
    Sheeeeeesh......a week for that?? Woof.

So...If it is in fact the climate control unit, I wonder if it just needs a little TLC. There can't be that much technically involved with those old things. Does it work at all for the other settings, or if you play with it carefully? IF so, I bet dollars to donuts it just needs to be cleaned up.

When I was replacing LED's in my interior/cluster I remember I flat out gave up removing the climate control unit. If you're able to get it out, I bet a little distilled water/isopropyl just might do the trick. I'd be careful with contact cleaner if you choose to go down the rabbit hole - it'll eat the plastic.

This is all assuming there's a good way to access the "guts" and slider contact points from the back side of the unit. I wasn't brave enough to go any further with removing it without clear instructions.
    Last edited by ITdude87; 06-20-2023 at 07:57 AM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

FEP Power Member

I even took the one out of the Mustang to try in the Capri, it will "work" if you find the magic spot.
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

I even took the one out of the Mustang to try in the Capri, it will "work" if you find the magic spot.
    Ah so....The one from the Capri will work if you find the "magic spot"? Have you tried the one from the Mustang yet - same issue, or did it work?

If there's a magic spot - I think that's your tell that it might just have a little bit of light corrosion or dirt that needs to be cleaned up.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

FEP Power Member

The Mustang one "works" in the Capri @ the magic spot. Not going to swap them out again, what a pain. Will try cleaning it up.
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

The Mustang one "works" in the Capri @ the magic spot. Not going to swap them out again, what a pain. Will try cleaning it up.
    Huge pain. I couldn't even figure out how to get it out nicely to swap a stupid bulb.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)