Close

Default 1982 "Powered by Ford" Valve covers.

I want o put some 82 gt PBF valve covers on a stock 86 roller motor. Will those older covers clear the rockers? Or are there any other fitment issues maybe?

They should clear. They won't clear aftermarket roller rockers though I don't think.
    You say roller motor. Are you referring to the camshaft? Stock rockers/valve train?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richpet; 05-16-2023 at 10:38 PM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

That depends on what rockers you are running. Stock rockers will usually work fine but if you are running aftermarket roller rockers you will run into problems with the inner filler plate near the cap on the valve covers hitting the rockers. You can take the filler plate off both covers but you will most likely find that the filler cap will leak a little oil without the filler guard there. It's the reason Ford put the guard on there. I have my stock covers I made this mod to and found it was leaking more oil than I cared to deal with, so I bought the upgraded covers.

Hope this helps,
    Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

FEP Senior Member

Depends on what roller rockers are being used, I have a set of unaltered 84-85 finned aluminum Powered by Ford valve covers on my 347, with Crower shaft style roller rockers on AFR 185 Renegade heads. Even with the original oil baffles, no signs of contacting the rockers. The 84-85 valve covers have the thicker bosses for the mounting bolts, but otherwise, pretty sure they are identical to the 82-83 covers.
    1978 Fairmont 2 door sedan, 428CJ 4speed. 9.972ET@132.54mph. 1.29 60 foot
    Replaced the FE big block with my 331/4 speed in my Fairmont, best 10.24ET @128 MPH.
    1985 Mustang LX hatchback NHRA Stock Eliminator 302 4 speed best in legal trim 12.31@107 mph, but has gone 11.42@115 with aftermarket intake, carb, and iron Windsor Jr. heads.New for 2012! 331 cube SB Ford, AFR 185 heads, solid flat tappet cam, pump gas; 10.296ET@128.71 mph, 1.37 60 foot.
    1979 Zephyr Z7, all original 302 auto, 2nd owner.

You got stock rockers, right? If so, don't see why they wouldn't clear them. They came standard on 85 GT roller cam motors.

As far as other fitment issues, I don't know. Would they clear all the efi stuff? Dunno.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Yeah. The rockers and cam are stock. Sounds like I'll be fine. Thanks everyone

I ran them with Crane roller rockers 1.6 on my engine, no problems.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Aluminum valve cover spacers that go between the head and valve cover are an option if you need more height.