Close

Default 8.8 - Opinions on re-using rear gears ?

A bit of a story here. Recently I did a swap on the rear gears on my sons car. We went from the factory 3.08 to a set of new 3.31 Ford performance.

Got everything setup thought I had a really good pattern but after hitting the road it had a slight whine on coast and decel which got worse as it warmed up where it was annoying

So long story short after reading lots of opinions online I ended up redoing the entire setup and changing back to a set of used factory 3.27 gears I had which were in decent condition but had some miles for sure. Happy to report they are dead quiet and work well

Looking back on it now I believe that I had my pinion slightly too deep on the 3.31's and probably needed to set the bearing pre-load at the higher end of the spec.

So what's everyone's opinion on these 3.31's now? They did wear in with a suspect pattern for 500 miles of so. Are they junk ?

The internet chatter I read seems to indicate that they will always be noisy now that they wore in that way. No one wants noisy gears lol

Curious what everyone on this forum thinks ?

Cheers,

The only experience I have is using used 3.73 gears when I rebuilt my rear end. They already had an established wear pattern, and even set up correctly they whined. Accel, decel, you name it they were noisy.

After 1 summer of that I pulled it back apart and dropped in some new Ford Performance 4.10s and it’s as quiet as church mouse.

I say stick to new gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

Ok thanks for the info.

Yes for sure I am not going to change back if they are quiet now. Its not worth all the work to start over again and have them noisy again. Kind of confirms generally what I have been reading about once the wear pattern is established.

My experience with used gears is you need to set them up a bit loose.... There is usually some specs on setting up used gears in some installation manuals..