Close

Default Heater hose routing...

Installing my heater hoses and the FSM really didn't show much...
    Its an 83, 5 liter, carbed...
    1. Looks like the 90 degree fitting faces towards the front of the car and the heater hose loops around then goes 180 degrees back to the firewall?? anyone make that a more direct fit as in aiming it more towards the firewall?
    EDIT: I think I have this one figured out.. It goes down in front of the valve cover than back.....

2. The other hose just drapes on top of the valve cover?? And after looking at it, where in the heck does this one route around the alternator/alternator bracket?

All of the engine bay pictures that I find have the Air Cleaner on and its hard to see the heater hoses...
    Thanks....
    Last edited by Bentley; 05-14-2023 at 07:09 PM.

I ran one over the intake to the firewall and used an elbow or two to route the other down through the alternator bracket and to the firewall. Assuming non A/C.
    Route them how you want where you want.
    I can show a pic of what I did if you want.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I thought about turning the elbow so it points towards the back and running the one hose under the fuel line ( there is alot more room than the pic shows) And I moved the coil to the drivers side strut tower.....
    Name:  DSCF1349.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  300.2 KB
    Last edited by Bentley; 05-14-2023 at 07:28 PM.

Not that it's the best option, but it is an option:
    I used the 90° to run the lower outlet down under the alt, to the fender well mount and up to the heater core.
    The upper I ran along the intake with a 90° in the back to get it to the heater core.
    When I get this new motor in I might try to run them both down and around.
    My hoses are shrouded in that red/black plastic hose covering.

That 'coil' of wires surrounding the heater hoses at the firewall is the excess wire length for the O2 sensor for the FiTech.

Last edited by richpet; 05-17-2023 at 09:12 AM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

Richpet, thanks for the pics.....

No problem. Like I said, may not be the preferred routing, but I wanted the valve covers visible with as little crossing them as reasonable.
    Plus if I have to remove the valve cover I have far less in the way.

Last edited by richpet; 05-17-2023 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
    Installing my heater hoses and the FSM really didn't show much...
    Its an 83, 5 liter, carbed...
    1. Looks like the 90 degree fitting faces towards the front of the car and the heater hose loops around then goes 180 degrees back to the firewall?? anyone make that a more direct fit as in aiming it more towards the firewall?
    EDIT: I think I have this one figured out.. It goes down in front of the valve cover than back.....

2. The other hose just drapes on top of the valve cover?? And after looking at it, where in the heck does this one route around the alternator/alternator bracket?

All of the engine bay pictures that I find have the Air Cleaner on and its hard to see the heater hoses...
    Thanks....
    Both my heater core hoses drape across the pass side valve cover. That's the factory arrangement on my 85. But I don't think I have that 90 degree fitting there. Pretty sure mine is on the back driver's side of the intake. I don't know.... I need to look at it.... I may be confusing myself now.

Edit June 24, 2023- My previous statement (in blue) was wrong! Not sure what I was thinking about, but I definitely have that same 90 degree fitting at the front passenger side of the intake manifold. At least I was right about confusing myself.

Regarding how it routes behind the alternator and bracket, I'll try to get a pic of how mine is. Although it may not be accurate for an 83!? And I hopefully can post it now that I've got a picture-resizing-for-dummies tutorial.
    Last edited by 85GTGuy; 06-23-2023 at 11:47 PM.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Gates makes a pre-formed hose for the connection to the water pump. It snakes around the alternator bracket and in front of the valve cover. 18917. The application is for 1985 Mustang, but it should fit any fox with the serpentine alternator tensioner bracket. I've got it on my 5.0 swapped '80 fairmont and '86 Ltd.
    Last edited by gmatt; 05-17-2023 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    Gates makes a pre-formed hose for the connection to the water pump. It snakes around the alternator bracket and in front of the valve cover. 18917. The application is for 1985 Mustang, but it should fit any fox with the serpentine alternator tensioner bracket. I've got it on my 5.0 swapped '80 fairmont and '86 Ltd.
    Thank you..... Would you or anyone who has this hose installed on their car have a picture or two of it???
    Last edited by Bentley; 05-17-2023 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post

Regarding how it routes behind the alternator and bracket, I'll try to get a pic of how mine is. Although it may not be accurate for an 83!? And I hopefully can post it now that I've got a picture-resizing-for-dummies tutorial.
    Its not FOR dummies, its BY A dummy....... LOL

Sorry, I don't seem to be able to share images.

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    Sorry, I don't seem to be able to share images.
    See if post #7 in the thread below is any help...
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...43#post1952043
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    See if post #7 in the thread below is any help...
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...43#post1952043
    no good. If I try to upload, I get 'upload failed'. If I copy & paste, it says I uploaded 24 images (?). I did resize them. Really small actually. Didn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
    Thank you..... Would you or anyone who has this hose installed on their car have a picture or two of it???
    Here's a couple of pics for ya....

The first pic shows the hose after crossing across the top of the valve cover and turning 90° down the face of the end of the valve cover. It then turns 90° after it goes behind the alternator bracket.

The second pic shows the third 90° bend as it turns downward (right at the 1F18 marking) after coming out from behind the alternator bracket. The last 90° bend shots it towards the water pump outlet connection.

Name:  HeaterHose1a.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  193.2 KB
    Name:  HeaterHose2a.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  175.0 KB

I used Gates numbers 18917 and 19839.
    Name:  230104_164838es - Copy.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  153.8 KB
    Name:  230104_164812s - Copy.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  164.2 KB

Thanks to all for the help.....
    Attached a picture of what I did... I will use the gates prebent hose eventually and clean up the run ......
    I found a hole in the alternator bracket, under the alternator that I ran the one hose from the water pump nipple.....
    My goal is to start the engine, so working towards that now.... Yes the wires look bad, but I am not going to wrap any of the looms up yet until all is good...
    I did get the fuel line hard lined to my new carb, so pleased with that......
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Bentley; 05-26-2023 at 04:30 PM.

I wanted to say here that I used the Gates heater hose from the water pump to my heater core and it cleaned up the routing of this hose and looks great.. So YES, it can be used on an 83 five liter....