Close

Default Cam recommendations for my setup?

My camshaft ate a lifter today. Just to be safe I'm going to swap my cam along with the lifters and pushrods. Looking for a good suggestion that isn't a gazillion dollars for my car that I drive maybe a few times a week in the summer.

1984 302 HO block stock bottom end (hydraulic flat tappet cam)
    E7 heads stock
    5-speed
    2.73 gears (want to swap to 3.55 but not sure if I'll do it)

Want a good daily driver type cam, don't want to change springs and my block can't accept a roller cam (no way to bolt down the spider that holds the lifters).
    '79 Z7 w/sunroof, first car, 302, 5-speed, 8.8 Rear Disc
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage

You do realize you need to take apart your entire engine to clean out the metal bits and to check if all is good???

Quote Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
    You do realize you need to take apart your entire engine to clean out the metal bits and to check if all is good???
    Yeah I'm not going to do that. My engine is tired and neglected. I'm going to clean out the pan, replace the filter, and run a new cam and lifter set and if she seizes up then so be it. Not worth taking the motor out right now for me over this, I'm betting the relatively new filter did a decent job. If I were suggesting what someone else do, I'd say the same thing you did. But for this motor I'll see if it'll go for the summer and if she goes TU then I'll source something better.
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage

Any new cam is gonna cost just like a new cam. With your set up I would stay with a stock cam, perhaps switching to 1.7 RR's? Or just go with one that is off the shelf with slightly more lift and/or duration, but stay conservative. If you're not doing a thorough clean/check/freshen I wouldn't think you'd want to add much additional stress.

I understand what you mean about the motor. We all know the right thing is to take it apart, clean, ...
    If the motor is out, perhaps just slapping fresh bearings in will increase motor life a bit?

But, I did this once myself many years ago. Flat tappet hydraulic cam motor, double gasketed the oil filter and pumped the oil out driving, motor seized. New cam and lifters, poured about a case of cheap oil through it to 'rinse' it the best I could, and went for it. Changed oil and filter a couple times after it ran soon. That motor went about 25k miles before going totally TU bad. Your results may vary.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richpet; 05-13-2023 at 05:21 PM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by richpet View Post
    Any new cam is gonna cost just like a new cam. With your set up I would stay with a stock cam, perhaps switching to 1.7 RR's? Or just go with one that is off the shelf with slightly more lift and/or duration, but stay conservative. If you're not doing a thorough clean/check/freshen I wouldn't think you'd want to add much additional stress.

I understand what you mean about the motor. We all know the right thing is to take it apart, clean, ...
    If the motor is out, perhaps just slapping fresh bearings in will increase motor life a bit?

But, I did this once myself many years ago. Flat tappet hydraulic cam motor, double gasketed the oil filter and pumped the oil out driving, motor seized. New cam and lifters, poured about a case of cheap oil through it to 'rinse' it the best I could, and went for it. Changed oil and filter a couple times after it ran soon. That motor went about 25k miles before going totally TU bad. Your results may vary.

Totally. The motor is not out, I just pulled the Valve Covers and Intake in the car to verify what I thought was the issue. It would be great to get it rebuilt and aluminum heads and everything I've ever wanted but life doesn't work that way for me right now unfortunately. This is one of 6 cars and a travel trailer I am juggling and its just not my biggest priority ATM. Just want it running and driving to enjoy a couple times a week. Thinking I'll probably just go with the Edelbrock 2122 performer cam and lifter kit. Very conservative like you said and only $250. Some new gaskets, tune up, oil change and hope for the best.
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage

Considering you are not going deeper in to clean/check/adjust, conservative is wise.

You might get another fun 20-50k out of it or it may knock itself to oblivion after 5 minutes.

Good luck!

83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

2X totally
    Looks like a winning pick.
    Tune for 25 mpg on top of the added punch from the cam.
    Should be a fun new driving style with a tired engine and 2.73.
    The cam could actually reduce motor stress if it results in better engine efficiency.
    e.g. less overall throttle pedal needed to maintain or obtain particular driving habits.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    2X totally
    Looks like a winning pick.
    Tune for 25 mpg on top of the added punch from the cam.
    Should be a fun new driving style with a tired engine and 2.73.
    The cam could actually reduce motor stress if it results in better engine efficiency.
    e.g. less overall throttle pedal needed to maintain or obtain particular driving habits.
    I agree. Should help out a little bit, and if things go south then I won't be upset I spent $500 on a cam.
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage

What happened...why did the lifter and/or cam fail? You should figure this out before you buy more parts...that failed...and installing.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    What happened...why did the lifter and/or cam fail? You should figure this out before you buy more parts...that failed...and installing.
    Not sure. Old motor, been tapping at certain RPMS for years and now it got worse. I'm not pulling this engine to have it inspected/cleaned/rebuilt. If this motor goes TU then I want to replace it with a block that can accept a roller cam and at that point I'll put that time and effort into the new engine. For the time being, if it works it works and if it doesnt it doesnt, but I'm betting it'll be fine.
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage