Close

Thread: Battery Fitment

FEP Senior Member

Default Battery Fitment

In case anybody is wondering, no, a Group 24F battery will not fit an '85 LTD with the 3.8. I took a gamble since I couldn't find anybody locally that had a Group 56 (well for a price I was willing to pay anyway). All the websites I found said the 24F would fit police/taxi variants so I gave it a shot.

The battery does physically fit in the battery tray, but the cooling fan on the alternator sits right on the case of the battery. The sticking point is the width. The 24F is 3/4" wider than the 56. Oh well. Looks like I'm off to find a BXT56A.

It does look like Advance sells and stocks a DieHard 56-1, but I can find the Motorcraft battery cheaper. Here are a couple of options if you are looking and need something right away:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...cca/959734_0_0

This is what was in the car. That thing was 9 years old. Pretty impressive.
    https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...56/ssbo/56prmj

I'll probably just see if O'Reilly's can order this for me:
    https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...56/mot0/bxt56a

Of course there is also this from a Ford dealer:
    https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/el...p-bxt56a?pdp=y

It also looks like a 54 and 55 should fit, but they are quite a bit shorter in length and I don't know what kind of CA/CCA you can get with those.

Hopefully this is helpful to somebody in the future.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

FEP Power Member

ITdude87 found a Motocraft 56 series in the Grand Rapids area not too long ago, not sure who from.
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

Quote Originally Posted by ZEN50 View Post
    ITdude87 found a Motocraft 56 series in the Grand Rapids area not too long ago, not sure who from.
    Here's his post, quoted from the Correct battery placement in a 83 thread...

"Ordered it from parts.ford.com and picked it up from a local dealership"
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

FEP Senior Member

Yes, that thread was one that came up in my searches. He picked his up from Borgman Ford which I pass by on my way into work and going home, but I doubt the parts department is ever open when I pass by. O'Reilly was $20 cheaper if they can actually get it and their hours work better for my schedule. I'll let you know what I find.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

FEP Power Member
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    Yes, that thread was one that came up in my searches. He picked his up from Borgman Ford which I pass by on my way into work and going home, but I doubt the parts department is ever open when I pass by. O'Reilly was $20 cheaper if they can actually get it and their hours work better for my schedule. I'll let you know what I find.

Hey Kevin!

It's super easy - You can order a BXT56A from parts.ford.com and have it shipped to Borgman for pickup. I obviously can't help you out with their hours though.

I think it took about a week?

That said - I now have a pretty recent (sticker says 22' on the battery) 56 battery (SureStart brand, I believe), that you can straight up have for free if you're interested. The only reason I replaced it was because I wanted a Motorcraft one.

I live right downtown GR.
    Last edited by ITdude87; 05-03-2023 at 01:47 PM.
    1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

FEP Senior Member

I mean, I'm not going to argue with a man about a free battree. It had a Super Start from O'Reilly from the previous owner so I don't have any shame in an off brand. I just need something that will fit the car and maintain a charge.

I'll message you offline to set something up!
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    I mean, I'm not going to argue with a man about a free battree. It had a Super Start from O'Reilly from the previous owner so I don't have any shame in an off brand. I just need something that will fit the car and maintain a charge.

I'll message you offline to set something up!
    I got you! This is what the community is all about IMO
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

FEP Senior Member

Big thanks to ITdude87 on this! We finally were able to meet up last night and he hooked me up with a practically brand new Group 56 battery. Sitting voltage was 12.6V so I just threw it in the car and she fired right up. It was exactly the same as the Super Start battery that I took out of it. We'll see if this one lasts 9 years as well.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

I’m glad it worked out for you, happy to help!
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)