Close

Default 86 GT Mustang Alternator replacement

The new Pure Energy Alternator I purchased has 3 wires, 2 = Battery and 1 = Stator.
    The instructions that came with the Alternator are to cut the wires [black w/orange stripe] near the plug and join to the matching new wires from the Alternator.
    As I only have 2 wires, is it safe to assume I do not need the third white wire to connect to anything?
    Name:  86 Alternators.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  163.2 KB
    Name:  86 Alt Wires.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  224.1 KB
    Name:  Alternator wires.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  77.5 KB

If I'm going to be hacking things up, I'd just as soon go 3G with a larger charge wire. The
    "double" black/orange charge wires were suspect the day they left the factory. Again, even if
    keeping the 2G alt, if I had to cut, I would replace charge wire (s) with something adequate.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

By replacing the Voltage Regulator Connector plug pigtail, gave me the 3rd white wire for the Stator and connecting that with the white wire from the Alternator has solved the problem.