Close

Default 1985 Capri Automatic Shifter Knob

I replaced the automatic shifter bezel on my 1985 Capri and am having difficulty getting the knob/spring back on. Is there a trick to it?

I did that a couple of years back on my 79. Don't recall anything special todo.
    To trigger my memory;
    What is your issue with it?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn CPH2219 met Tapatalk

FEP Power Member

Don't think so, should just snap back on.
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

FEP Power Member

I think you may have the push button upside down.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    I did that a couple of years back on my 79. Don't recall anything special todo.
    To trigger my memory;
    What is your issue with it?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn CPH2219 met Tapatalk
    When I attempt to reinstall the shifter T handle (with a spring loaded button) back onto the shaft, the button doesn't push in. The shifter T handle appears to be on but the button will not move. I've tried installing multiple times and same result. The shaft has a small roller with the cable attached to it and it goes over a v shaped channel down to the actual shifter link on the floor. The handle had to be pulled forcefully to come off and I have attempted to forcefully put it back on, but I've had no luck getting it right. I'm stumped.

I looked at that, but it appears that there is only one way for the button to be inserted into the shifter T handle...

I have found it was easier to slide on if I positioned the stick between gears so the little pill snapped bit was straight up and down. The as I press down I would push it out of that position.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by emerygt350 View Post
    I have found it was easier to slide on if I positioned the stick between gears so the little pill snapped bit was straight up and down. The as I press down I would push it out of that position.
    I tried that on my lunch break and tapped it with a mallot and the handle and the button assembly broke. I'm now looking for a replacement if anyone knows where I can find one.

You know what... I have a brand new extra I bought just in case. If you have problems finding one from a real reseller let me know.
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Oh no... Sadly the motorcraft replacement is only the outer shell, not the button mechanism!

Here's a NOS A/T shifter button. Is it of any help?

https://www.npdlink.com/product/butt...0000%26year%3D
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Wow. Surprised it's still available.

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    Here's a NOS A/T shifter button. Is it of any help?

https://www.npdlink.com/product/butt...0000%26year%3D
    I found an 87 handle that appears to be the same but the button assembly is different so I did order this button assembly and it should be delivered tomorrow. I’m still concerned that I won’t be able to get it installed easily

Quote Originally Posted by emerygt350 View Post
    You know what... I have a brand new extra I bought just in case. If you have problems finding one from a real reseller let me know.
    How much do you want for it?