Close

Thread: 1985 5.0.

Default 1985 5.0.

Hello Im new here on this fourm. So I need help I have a 1985 5.0 auto cfi the car cranks but does not start. The car sat since 2006 and since receiving the car I did all maintenance work. I swap out spark plugs , wires , every fluid literally every fluid , new fuel pump , fuel filter & new fuel regulator. So I'm having fuel issue I just need some guidance on possible since this my first carb style vehicle mostly own efi foxbodies.

Anyways the car will start if I put fuel in the carb and once it runs out car dies. I disconnected the fuel line that connects to the carb and it does have pressure from the fuel. I noticed the injectors that are in the carb do not squirt out fuel when pumping the pedal. Any idea where I can check? It could be something simple thats going pass my head if someone can shine some light it be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the injector fuel pressure at the Schrader valve using an Injection rated 75 psi capable gauge. The Hi Low fuel pump system will have a low pressure lift pump in tank, and a Hi pressure supply pump on the passenger side rear. You should hear the pumps start on ignition, but not on start. On one side of the trunk or hatch flank , there is an Inertia Switch which may have been tripped; a red reset button should allow fuel to flow again.

The rule is, if the Fuel system has laid dormant for any length of time more than a year, or there is a possibility of fuel contamination by foul play, then you should pop the injectors out, and have them cleaned, and the fuel tank removed an cleaned, with the fly tongue gauze filter and return line checked and renewed. Fuel pumps are normally reliable, and can be easily checked

Ford's fuel lines are adequate, with very robust fittings that require exact removal and refitting tools. The flexible reinforcd vent hose at the tank, and the section at the front of the car to the engine is a known failure point, and a potential fire risk if the evap system is not working properly.

An Equus Code 3145 reader with the Equus Heavy Duty Diagnostic Extension Cable for Ford Code Reader, 6 ft
    Item #: 1292907 extension allows you to check Key on Engine off and Key On, Engine Running codes when you finally get the fuel system supplying it's 30 to 50 psi to the two injectors.

If you tend to the basics, you won't have to replace and clean other parts in the system.

I'd advise caution in the refiling of the injectors. Ford made the inertia switch and fuel pressure regulation system on the CFi the way it is for its protection. Cleaning injectors and checking the fuel tank and two pump's is a prudent first step.

after being busy with work from the whole week I finally had time to work on the car. I ended up getting the car running and started. I took apart the cfi unit and found out it eas clogged. Once I started to use the air compressor to unclog it I then reassemble it back together. Once I bolted it down to the motor I made sure to prime the car a couple times to get the gas cycling. I even pour some gas into the cti opening to help with the start up and bingo car started running.

Glad it was an easy fix!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

@richpet Im glad it was too ! I shouldve done that first but somethings go past the head when there you start to wonder what going on but Im glad I got it running