Close

Default Stall / Torque Converter Recommendation For 1986 AOD

My son and I are about finished with our 86 vert build and are trying to figure out which stall speed / torque converter to get for the AOD that is in the car. What has been done to the engine are all the basic bolt on performance add on's: BBK cold air intake, BBK 75mm throttle body, Trick Flow upper & lower intake, under drive pulleys, shorty headers, off road exhaust and Flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers. We installed 4:10 gears and are looking for a little more wow factor when we step on the gas off idle. We have read many conflicting opinions on this topic that span over the last 15 years and we are looking for current recommendations. So far from all of the information we have gathered it seems around a 3000 rpm stall is what we should be looking for.

Any help on this topic along with brand recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    John

The original converter I believe was already at 2400 if I remember right. My relatively tame CFI with the stock converter and 373s will lay rubber and bark on the 1-2 shift even under relatively tame throttle. If you are not worried about driveability the 3k is probably ok. Although these things develop torque pretty low down so I bet with 410s it will be plenty impressive with the original.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

As I dig deeper into this, it appears that a 2500 rpm stall is more along the lines of a proper stall for our set up. I have found that Edge Converters, Monster, B&M and Roadrunner brands all offer this stall speed range for an AOD. I have spoke with a few of the manufactures tech department staff and I have gotten mixed replies anywhere from a 1900-2200 stall, 2800 stall and 2800-3200 stall. Some said definitely go with a lock-up and others have suggested no. Each tech was very convincing and adamant about their recommendation so not much help from any of them helping me to narrow it down as they just added more confusion lol!

The other issue is the transmission is going to be a little wonky already with the gearing change at the rear. Even my 373s cause the aod to try and shift into 3 and 4 a little earlier than I would like in normal driving.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Andre at Edge Racing Converters built us a 10” 3000 rpm stall with lockup and I am here to say it is the absolute best performance mod we have ever done to this car! It will now lay rubber at will and is the burn out champion at any event! The car is actually more drivable now than with the stock converter. I highly recommend reaching out to Andre if anyone is looking to improve the performance of their Foxbody equipped with an automatic transmission.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyhorsepower View Post
    Andre at Edge Racing Converters built us a 10” 3000 rpm stall with lockup and I am here to say it is the absolute best performance mod we have ever done to this car! It will now lay rubber at will and is the burn out champion at any event! The car is actually more drivable now than with the stock converter. I highly recommend reaching out to Andre if anyone is looking to improve the performance of their Foxbody equipped with an automatic transmission.

John
    That is great news! I planned on using Edge for a converter when I got to that point. thanks
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0