Close

Default 86 Mustang Converting to Mass Air

I have read a number of threads and just want to make sure I don't do anything to fry my computer.

My 86 GT has been swapped from an original AOD to a T5. I was able to get it to run fine after the T5 swap although I didn't drive it enough to see if the cruise control still worked. I have installed a different 302 motor with aluminum heads, mild cam, headers, explorer intake and have tried running it with the speed density and a VM1 computer -- and it runs, but rough and idles poorly.

I am getting ready to do the wiring to change it to mass air and wire it based on the below italics (prior post I found):

Fuel pump monitor: Pin 19 is the fuel pump running monitor. It goes from pin 19 to the Mass-air computer connector to the PK/BK wire (splice into this wire, its the fuel pump HOT(+) wire under the drivers seat. This wire MUST be added

Vehicle Speed Sensor Wires: Pin 6 is the VSS ground wire. Splice this wire to the O/Y wire (-) on the back of the trans (*personal note, this wire comes thru the trans tunnel into the car if I recall correctly*) Pin 3 is the VSS hot wire. Splice this wire to the DG/W wire (+) on the VSS at the back of the trans (*same thing this comes thru the trans tunnel*) IF PIN 3 AND 6 ALREADY HAVE TERMINALS INSERTED IN THEM, SKIP THIS STEP

Thermactor pump wires must be moved on the MAF computer connector: in 51 moved to pin 38; pin 11 moved to pin 32

I will be using a mass air meter (Ford F2VF-12B579-A1A) along with the explorer throttle body. The 86 GT has the original style (but new) 02 sensors and 86 Mustang 02 harness -- all wiring appears to be factory wiring. I am planning on using an A9L computer.

Should this combination work ok with the 86 mustang T5 application? Is there anything I should double check after the mass air swap is completed?

Thanks for any thoughts!
    Last edited by dieselfarmer; 04-24-2023 at 09:27 AM.
    1986 Mustang GT
    1984 Mustang SVO

Make sure you have the O2 sensor wiring correct. I don't remember the details but there were differences in the wiring harnesses between auto and manual that could cause the EEC to fry an input if it was wired wrong.

Probably the most secure way to make sure you have it right is to refer to the wiring diagrams for 89-93 and make sure each pin from the EEC connector goes to the correct item at the other end of the harness. (Pin x that's supposed to go to pin y of the O2 sensor actually rings out there.)

steve

Read this through to the end. Ford used the O2 sensor harness, for an easy way to differentiate between
    manual and auto computers, for mass air EEC's. It's kinda messed up, as it confuses many why
    there is wires running through the O2 sensor harness, that have NOTHING to do with the O2 sensors.
    But that is what they did.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...sion-questions
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Thanks!
    1986 Mustang GT
    1984 Mustang SVO