Close

Default Question on 1986 5.0 that won't "turn on" randomly

I have an issue that is baffling me and wonder if anyone has advice. I am thinking my ignition switch may be faulty, not sure how to test that.

Here's the weird problem. Every once in a while when trying to start the car absolutely nothing happens when I turn the key. Normally the fuel pump turns on, a few dash lights show, and then when I turn it to start the motor cranks and fires right up. But those few frustrating times there is no indication that anything is happening. I can get the dinging because the key is in the ignition and the door is open. But turn the key and nothing. Come back later, once was 10 minutes, another was the next day, and it acts normal and off you go.

Anyone ever seen something like this in a mustang? Thanks in advance!

FEP Supporter

I think your first instinct that something is wrong with the ignition switch is correct.

Here's a good video that covers a "roadkill" fix on the ignition switch/connector where most failures happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3MnFUAdveI
    '85 GT

Default I have same problem with my 1986 Capri 5.0 5 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    I think your first instinct that something is wrong with the ignition switch is correct.

Here's a good video that covers a "roadkill" fix on the ignition switch/connector where most failures happen.

I have the same problem with my 1986 Capri RS 5.0 Liter 5 speed I have own this car for 31 years and I take very good care of it In the past ten years it will not start at least once a year. Im 65 years old and gentle drive it in the spring and summer months .But I will not go any where I have to shut it and I have the fear it will not start. Plus if I have to flat bed it home I do not want to damage the Air Dam.. I have changed the ignition switch in the column. I put on a new starter and it still does it once a year . I decided to purchase a Motor craft Solenoid for the Ford dealership parts counter I purchased two of them. So I decided to change the solenoid one day. Removed the solenoid and replaced it with new one...............Then here s what happened! I started my Mercury Capri which it did BUT the starter STAYED ENGAGED to the fly wheel and the car would NOT turn off!!!! So I popped the clutch and stall it out. it did this twice with two BRAND new Solenoids So I put the old one back on and cross my fingers The only think left is the Clutch/Cruise switch which is above the clutch that give a connection to the starting of the car or the switch is used to cancel the cruise control Its a pain to change But thats only think left to change

CG

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post

Awesome, thank you very much. It's no longer random, it is dead as a door nail. I'll have to crawl under there and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by MY86092 View Post
    Awesome, thank you very much. It's no longer random, it is dead as a door nail. I'll have to crawl under there and check it out.
    thats a good thing, you can diagnose it now.....