Close

Thread: selling on ebay

Default selling on ebay

I was wondering if I could get some input on selling a car on ebay. I was wondering specifically if letting the buyer pay with paypal is good or bad?

I see many do wire transfers but that requires you to give the buyer you bank account info, right?

I see some do paypal deposit and then rest by another means...

Anyway, if anyone has had success or horror stories I would appreciate the input

Frank V
    1981 Capri "Black Magic" I6 (sold)
    1985 Mustang GT (sold) Oxford white T-Top
    1985.5 Mustang SVO 9L
    1986 Mustang SVO 1D

Quote Originally Posted by scenarioL113 View Post
    I was wondering if I could get some input on selling a car on ebay. I was wondering specifically if letting the buyer pay with paypal is good or bad?

I see many do wire transfers but that requires you to give the buyer you bank account info, right?

I see some do paypal deposit and then rest by another means...

Anyway, if anyone has had success or horror stories I would appreciate the input

Frank V
    Frank,

Having bought the very first car ever listed on ebay (a 1974 MGB sold out of Hanford, Ca) when it was just ebay.com/other , and selling more than my fare share since that time (100+), I highly suggest you only accept wire transfer.

On top of that, I also highly suggest you open a stand alone account at your local bank with a few hundred dollars (acceptable risk, bank minimums), explain to your bank manager why, you do not want internet access, nor a bank card associated with it, also, do not attached to any of your others accounts, for such transactions.

Finally, until the funds have cleared your account (usually less than 24 hours), and you have removed them from the "holding" account, the car, and associated paperwork, does not leave your possession, not ever !!!

Any questions, feel free to ask, as I've seen it all in the last 25 years....

Bill S.

Thanks Bill

I am going to list a 1948 3100 1/2 Ton Truck that I resurrected from being a lawn ornament from a midwest body shop. Was gonna make a hotrod but when I started messing with the truck I realized I could prob get it running and then from there I didnt have the heart to butcher it, being it was all for the most part original (except for a synchromesh that was installed).

Anyway, I never listed a car on ebay before and am wondering if it is OK to use PayPal as a payment option or is that too much advantage for the BUYER to receive the car and then dispute the transaction after they have the car an title...

Ebay user agreement says that they dont really give buyer protection like that for cars that are that old but just wanted to ask around

Lots of seller offer wire transfer but you have to give your account number...that dont sound right at face value BUT lots of people do it...

Frank
    1985.5 Mustang SVO 9L
    1986 Mustang SVO 1D

Bill,
    For a wire transfer
    I use Capital One bank. So basically I just give the buyer my account and routing number and they send it...? Is that it?
    1985.5 Mustang SVO 9L
    1986 Mustang SVO 1D

Quote Originally Posted by scenarioL113 View Post
    Bill,
    For a wire transfer
    I use Capital One bank. So basically I just give the buyer my account and routing number and they send it...? Is that it?
    To play it safe, you'll need to contact your specific banking institution to see exactly what they want you to send for an incoming wire. What they tell you is what you send, nothing more, nothing less.

Bill S.