Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Valve cover fill and PCV pics needed

Actually I am looking for pic of the oil fill cap and pvc cap

I have an 83 5 liter car I am re assembling.. I believe I have the stock valve covers that came on the car...
    Unable to upload pics to this site.....
    Valve covers are cast with the ribs on top and " Powered by Ford" among the ribs...

The hole in each of the valve covers have slots 180 degrees apart, and look like an old school oil cap with two " tabs" fit into and and tightens with a qtr or half turn....
    Drivers side hole will be forward and the pass side will back back by the firewall.....

I am looking for any ;pics of the fill cap or PCV valve and the hoses and where they route to....
    Have the drivers side " fill cap" ( I think) and it looks like the hose goes to the air filter housing??
    Cannot find anything for the pass side hole that is towards the back of the engine.. I assume the cap has a hole in it with PCV valve in it.. Again sorry I cannot attach some pictures but this site will not take any of mine....
    Any pictures from anyone on here that could put me in the right direction??

thanks for any help
    Last edited by Bentley; 04-19-2023 at 03:13 PM.

No idea if it's the same on my car, but same valve covers. Passenger has a fat pipe that goes to the air filter housing with a big sponge thing inside the housing. The driver side has a pcv tree. It only allows flow under specific circumstances. For the life of me I can't remember where they go but I am pretty sure it is the carb base. The is a CFI car though. I am sure a carb is going to be a little different.

I would go look but a a couple thousand miles from it at the moment.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Yeah, there is a rubber grommet that fits those that allows for the elbow to connect the hose to the air cleaner.

E6SZ-6A892-A Ford PCV Valve Grommet

The DS should go to the base of the carb and the pass should go to the air cleaner.
    Last edited by Chuck W; 04-17-2023 at 07:57 PM.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

The drivers side goes to the carburetor base...I took this picture to show spark plug wire routing sometime bvck. The passenger side goes to the back of the air cleaner assembly...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by bwguardian; 04-18-2023 at 09:23 AM.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    The drivers side goes to the carburetor base...I took this picture to show spark plug wire routing sometime bvck. The passenger side goes to the back of the air cleaner assembly...
    Thanks.... OK, so the part I have must be the pass side that is drawing air in through the air cleaner ( I think ) ... The PCV must be on the drivers side, like in your pic.
    I have one other parts box to go look in to see if I have a twist on cap with the pcv valve now......

Thanks to everyone here, this helps out..... Any pics of the pass side cap area anyone??

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    Yeah, there is a rubber grommet that fits those that allows for the elbow to connect the hose to the air cleaner.

E6SZ-6A892-A Ford PCV Valve Grommet

The DS should go to the base of the carb and the pass should go to the air cleaner.
    Found my other twist cap.....
    The rubber grommets are different sized that push into these two twist caps... The metal twist caps are the same dimensions....
    The PCV valve grommet seems to be Dorman 42066.....
    No luck yet with the smaller grommet, that the 90 degree plastic angle piece pushes into that feeds off of the Air cleaner ( Passenger side)...
    The ID and OD are both smaller than the PCV grommet...

See my new post in the 1984 5.0 PCV grommets thread.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
    Any pics of the pass side cap area anyone??
    I've got the old 1980's vintage Ford Motorsport valve covers, not the stock ones, but I think the pass side didn't change any (unlike the driver's side which did change from stock). I'll see if I can get a pic tonight. If not, it might be tomorrow.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    See my new post in the 1984 5.0 PCV grommets thread.
    I just read it... Thanks just what I needed......
    Broke the 90 degree angle fitting from the pass rear grommet... Any direction for a new one of those?

Saw one somewhere. I'll try to dig it up.... may take some searching.

And mine isn't a 90° fitting, iirc. Seem to remember it being a little more than 90°.

I found a flaps replacement for mine. I can look closer when I get home if you haven't got it figured out by then.
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

I think the way you have your spark plug wires is a clean and nice looking way to run them....
    My 83 has the same valve covers ( GT40P heads) with headers... My question is the bolt/stud/holder kits I see for sale say " 86 and up"??
    Is there a problem using these on carbureted cars, like ours?
    Last edited by Bentley; 04-19-2023 at 03:16 PM.

I think the way you have your spark plug wires is a clean and nice looking way to run them....
    My 83 has the same valve covers ( GT40P heads) with headers... My question is the bolt/stud/holder kits I see for sale say " 86 and up"??
    Is there a problem using these on older carbureted cars, like yours?
    My 85 GT vert has GT40p heads and Ford Motorsport stainless shorty headers. I used the stock valve cover bolts with studs that the plastic wire clips fit on. The clips and/or wires were a little tight given I'm also running the larger Ford Motorsport spark plug wires. I don't see a problem using this on earlier years given it was a stock setup for the 85 5.0L carburetor power plants...
    HAD

HAVE
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Found my other twist cap.....
    The rubber grommets are different sized that push into these two twist caps... The metal twist caps are the same dimensions....
    The PCV valve grommet seems to be Dorman 42066.....
    No luck yet with the smaller grommet, that the 90 degree plastic angle piece pushes into that feeds off of the Air cleaner ( Passenger side)...
    The ID and OD are both smaller than the PCV grommet...
    I don't have a twist cap on the pass side valve cover on my 85 LTS.

I swapped in those "Powered By Ford" Valve covers to replace the stock ones. That grommet I listed "twists" into the hole (had tabs on it) and accepts the elbow for the air cleaner hose.

( I checked and I don't have any pics of the current pass side set-up)
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Yea, that was my recollection too. Only the driver's side had a cap. The pass side just took a grommet right into the valve cover, for that elbow.

Bentley - I got a pic of the pass side grommet, elbow and hose, but am having trouble posting it. Don't know why tho. Have asked for help here and will also try again later.

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    Yea, that was my recollection too. Only the driver's side had a cap. The pass side just took a grommet right into the valve cover, for that elbow.

Bentley - I got a pic of the pass side grommet, elbow and hose, but am having trouble posting it. Don't know why tho. Have asked for help here and will also try again later.
    Appreciate your help....

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    I don't have a twist cap on the pass side valve cover on my 85 LTS.

I swapped in those "Powered By Ford" Valve covers to replace the stock ones. That grommet I listed "twists" into the hole (had tabs on it) and accepts the elbow for the air cleaner hose.

( I checked and I don't have any pics of the current pass side set-up)
    I think I have seen pics of that grommet for sale, it has some " tabs" on the bottom... Are they what twist into the slots of the valve cover? Guessing that might work if the correct grommets for mine don't work out...
    Changes from 83 to 84 to 85 based on my parts search....
    My 83 has two twist caps for sure and those two rubber grommets that LMR sells seem to be what fits into my two metal twist caps..
    Summit has the plastic 90 degree ( at least it looks and the measurements seem to be correct) angle fitting for the rear pass side that is the intake for the PCV system via the Air filter.....
    All of my grommets and hoses ( and the plastic fitting I broke) are so hard and brittle they were a bee atch to take apart...
    My sister purchased this car in 84 and when it " stopped running" in the late 90's, she stored it inside so its in really good shape and its pretty much all oem... She did no alterations to it... ... I should add WAS oem......

Only thing I found wrong was the clutch disc was blown up... The Crank and pistons are still in the original block, ( its getting an Explorer 5 liter) but I found nothing wrong with the engine so far.... BUT, I am going off topic now....... LOL

Wish I could post some pics... Are the owners of this website ever going to upgrade it to accept a wider range of picture sizes??
    Last edited by Bentley; 04-19-2023 at 03:23 PM.

The fitting on mine broke too, so I just grabbed a straight one I had in the stash and used a length of hose to connect it to the air cleaner fitting.

83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Thank you for the pic..... Not at all like mine.... But I might consider updating to what you have...... I have to assume the grommet in your pic would work in my valve covers.....

They're the same covers that you have, with the "tabbed" holes.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Bentley, I seem to recall the back passenger side setup is the same as the front driver side setup...being the black screw in type...on my original car. I did have to make my own gaskets for them when I went through the car years ago. If you look close at the picture I posted there is a metal hose connected to a short rubber hose coming off that front driver side PVC and the same at the carburetor base. The back passenger side is all rubber hose ending with a plastic flanged piece that connects to the back of the air breather...actually the plastic with foam filter piece inside...via a metal clip.
    HAD

HAVE

Bentley, I seem to recall the back passenger side setup is the same as the front driver side setup...being the black screw in type...on my original car. I did have to make my own gaskets for them when I went through the car years ago. If you look close at the picture I posted there is a metal hose connected to a short rubber hose coming off that front driver side PVC and the same at the carburetor base. The back passenger side is all rubber hose ending with a plastic flanged piece that connects to the back of the air breather...actually the plastic with foam filter piece inside...via a metal clip.
    Yes, my parts all work out to be as you have described them.......
    After I found them and with all of help and pictures its coming together...... Thanks Everyone.....

Here is a pic of my flaps fix.Name:  IMG_20230421_163945581_HDR_copy_768x1020.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  204.3 KB

My 85 GT vert has GT40p heads and Ford Motorsport stainless shorty headers. I used the stock valve cover bolts with studs that the plastic wire clips fit on. The clips and/or wires were a little tight given I'm also running the larger Ford Motorsport spark plug wires. I don't see a problem using this on earlier years given it was a stock setup for the 85 5.0L carburetor power plants...
    Another request here... Which lower valve cover holes do the studs go into that hold the plastic wire clips..... Cleaned mine up today, seems as if I have 5 of them...
    thanks....
    Last edited by Bentley; 04-25-2023 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by emerygt350 View Post
    Here is a pic of my flaps fix.Name:  IMG_20230421_163945581_HDR_copy_768x1020.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  204.3 KB
    This is how mine goes too I believe... I have two of the stock twist on caps as in post #4 on this discussion

thanks, this will help with the Air cleaner connection.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast