Close

Default GT fuel light on

On my friend 1982 GT , the fuel light is constantly Even with full tanks ?

Advice pls

Low Fuel Warning Switch Circuit

Improper operation of the low fuel warning system will be apparent when the indicator lamp remains On continually with more than 1/4 tank of fuel or if the indicator lamp remains Off when the tank is empty. If either condition exists, be sure the wiring connector is fully engaged in the low fuel module. Be sure the fuel sender connector is connected to fuel sender. If this does not correct the problem, proceed with the following:

Disconnect the wiring connector attached to the low fuel warning switch. With the ignition On, test the terminal connector positions of the wiring harness connector as follows:

Position 1: Blank, no terminal.

Position 2: Connect a test lamp between terminal and ground. Test lamp should blink. If lamp does not blink, check the following:

• With ignition Off, continuity should exist between pin two and the fuel sender hat terminal. If this is open, check wiring.
    • Fuel gauge inoperative: caused by open winding within fuel gauge.
    • IVR inoperative: If this occurs, no gauges function.

Poistion3: With ignition On, connect test lamp between terminal and ground. Test lamp should blink and be brighter than position 2.

• If test lamp does not blink, check IVR.
    • If test lamp works, but is not brighter than position 2, check wiring for open circuit between terminal two and hat side of the fuel sender connector.

Position 4: Connect test lamp between terminal and positive battery terminal. Test lamp should glow and remain On.

• If lamp does not come On, check for open circuit between pin four and ground.

Position 5: Connect test lamp between terminal and ground. Test lamp should glow and remain On.

• If lamp does not come On, check warning lamp fuse in fuse panel. If fuse is OK, check wiring between terminal five and warning lamp fuse.

Position 6: Connect jumper wire between terminal and battery positive terminal. Warning lamp should glow and remain On.

• If lamp does not come On. replace warning bulb.

If all of the above tests prove OK, replace the low fuel warning module.

Position 1: Blank
    Position 2: To Sender - Light Blue
    Position 3: IVR to Gauge - Black/Light Green Dots
    Position 4: Ground - Black
    Position 5: Ignition Switch - Red/Yellow Hash Marks
    Position 6: Warning Lamp - Yellow/Black Dots
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

The following link is pic of the back side of the dash, above the glove box. The low fuel warning module is the square black box, to the far right (far left from the front side of the dash).

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/attachme...1&d=1636432374
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 04-14-2023 at 10:48 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

They are not the easiest to find.
    I found this one ebay last year when mine stuck on.
    NEW - OEM Ford E9AZ-9F326-A Low Fuel Level Warning Switch Assembly
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Mine does that every now and then.
    Most of the time it goes out after a few miles.
    Other times opening the glove box and gently wiggling the wires up there by the light switch works.
    Dunno why.
    There is a wire behind the gauge cluster that needs to be plugged in too. Easily missed when reinstalling cluster.

Quote Originally Posted by emerygt350 View Post
    They are not the easiest to find.
    I found this one ebay last year when mine stuck on.
    NEW - OEM Ford E9AZ-9F326-A Low Fuel Level Warning Switch Assembly
    Thanks for the link to that. May have to pick one up just to have as a spare. Seems like the kind of part that would no longer be available if the time comes that I ever needed one.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)