Close

Default door lock actuator is weak

On my 84 convertible the driver side door lock died last summer. I replaced it with an after market Dorman. Tested it before installing to make sure it powered up.

After installing, it is weak. It clicks when I trigger the power lock, but not hard enough to lift the lock. If I trigger it 2 or 3 times it will eventually push the lock up or down, but sometimes not.

I greased the linkages thinking something was binding, but it didn't help at all. There doesn't seem to be any adjustment between the linkage and the actuator itself. The only thing I can think of now is the door latch assembly the linkage has to lift and drop. Could that be what's worn out? Anyone else have this type of issue with power door lock actuators?

I found this on LMR website.

I either need new bushings or replace the door latch assembly. The new assembly doesn't come with an actuator bushing so I can try replacing the bushing first before pulling the whole thing apart.

well for what its worth I picked up a door latch bushing kit off the help section at Advance Auto Parts and although I needed to replace them, it didnt fix my weak lock actuator problem.

https://www.carparts.com/details/For...mcyYJKzIHPmZSk

I actually found out that I was missing the actuator bushing, so its good I got one, but after working on it for an hour I realized the lock mechanism moves freely when the actuator isn't connected, so its not binding in the latch assembly.

I do see a lot of backlash/play in the actuator mount. When I installed the replacement last year I was lazy and left the original mount in the door and just popped in the new actuator. Big mistake. I think the opening is bigger on the original mounts and the original mount swivels around on the pop rivet that's not gripping tight anymore, so it causes the actuator to actually twist left and right too much and that's where my torque is lost.

I'm ordering a new actuator from LMR along with a bunch of other stuff I want and I am 99% sure that if I drill out the old mount and use the hardware that comes with the new actuator, it should work fine. If not, last item on my list is a new door latch assembly.